Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xiangirl

Recycling + Watering = Success Answers

xian,

How many bottomless bottle buddies are needed for each plant and how many plants are in your garden? What type of soil do you have? How long does it take to fill up your buddies? How often do you need to refill buddies? Thanks for the info. Aloha

I have a flower garden between the sidewalk and street, about 3 feet, but it's at a 45 degree angle so if I use the hose most of the water runs off. I started by place the bottles every 18-24" along the sidewalk side (the higher side). Then I have a row of them halfway between the sidewalk and street every 3 feet apart. (I figure gravity is going to pull more water towards the lower side.) Four years ago I planted garden mums in one section about 20 feet long. They are now 18" high and thick.. The roots keep the moisture in the soil so I've taken several of those out and all of the middle row. In July I fill them up every day or every other day. In fall it's about every 4 days. When it rains the water also collects in the bottles which is nice.

The soil in my flowers has quite a bit of clay and my goal is to get more rich, black soil mixed in. That's why I like the waterers to fertilize, too.

My flowers run along the length of the front yard and the empty lot next to me so it's 3 feet by 200 feet.

I like clear plastic bottles because they aren't seen by onlookers the way white plastic containers are. Also don't use the 2 liters--too big, don't hold their shape and fill with dirt/sticks/leaves.