Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
something one step above a soaker hose but not "permanent"?

Posted by joeschmoe 6 (Ohio) (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 17:06

I'm fairly lacking in knowledge of irrigation systems. My climate is not one that requires "permanent" irrigation systems except in lawns, and that's only if you want it to look like a golf course in the heat of July and August every year.

However, sometimes if things get dry in my planting beds, orchard, veggie garden, etc, even trees that are newly planted, I'd like to have something a bit less cumbersome than soaker hoses, which, while convenient, clog up with my hard water, can only be run in so long of a length (50ft??), & better than a water-wasting rotary or oscillating sprinkler.

What is something that can be relatively easily installed and removed, that is more efficient than an old "sprinkler" but a bit better than a soaker hose for occasional use?

Is that what a "drip line" is? Is there a flexible, removable "drip line" type product out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: something one step above a soaker hose but not "permanent"?

Drippers are too local, and you end up with a very wet tear drop blob of soil with the point of the tear under the dripper. More likely you want what are called spray stakes. Usually you will want two per tree, as many trees don't like to have water sprayed on their trunk on a regular basis. You can use 1 that has a notch in the spray pattern. This will work for young trees.

The sprayer is mounted on a stake, ranging from 6 inches to 3 feet high. A chunk of quarter inch spaghetti tube runs from the stake to a distribution line. Typically a spray stake waters at 5 to 15 gallons per hour. 1/2" distribution line handles 300 gallons per hour, so unless your garden is very large, you can probably do it on a single line.

You also need to put a decent water filter, typically 140 mesh, to keep the tiny orifices from clogging.

Most systems are component. You can choose various bits.

There is often a problem with algae in small systems, especially if they are used infrequently. About once a month, when you run the system do a walk through and verify that everthing is working. I like to do this on a hot afternoon, as I always get soaked taking apart sprayers and sprinklers to clean them while the system is pressurized.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here