Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkulkarni001

Soggy ground - is this a valve problem?

pkulkarni001
17 years ago

Hi

We recently started having a problem in parts of our lawn. There are 2 patches, each about 4'x4' that are very soggy and soaked through with water. The problem is specific to those areas but appears to be spreading slowly. The two areas are not near each other - at least separated by 25 feet and are around the corner from each other (our garden is an L shaped area - in the backyard and to the side of the house)

The person who helps maintain the lawn etc. said this is a problem with the valves. There are 3 valves and one shows some dripping, the other 2 are dry on the outside - no signs of leakage. His claim is that the gaskets in the valve are blown and that is causing water to drip through continuously at a slow rate. That water is coming out continuously through the sprinklers and making the ground soggy. He offered to replace the valves for a grand sum of $200 which to me seems high for replacing 3 valves (including the valves).

Some things that dont support his argument -

1. I cannot see any sprinkler heads that drip or continuously leak - even the ones in the middle of the soggy patches

2. the patches are in 2 areas only - if there were a valve problem like he says, there would be other sprinklers affected too?

I have very little experience working with irrigation systems except setting the timers and testing the valves.

Can anyone comment on what may be the source of the problem and a test to check this? If you think its a valves problem, would you recommend trying to replace the valves myself - I am fairly handy around the house, just never needed to do anything with the irrigation system.

Thank you for reading this long post patiently.

Please help a newbie.

Comment (1)