Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
montalvo_gw

Pressure regulators failing...replacement recommendation?

montalvo
15 years ago

I have a five-year old, professionally installed irrigation system which includes 15 separate drip circuits, each with a back-flow valve and pressure reducer. During the past year, several of the pressure reducers have failed, resulting in too much pressure on the system and too much water dispersed by the emitters. I'd like to start replacing these pressure reducers with something more reliable, since replacing them is really a pain.

The initially installed 3/4" reducers are "30 PSI 1/10-8 GPM" reducers made by Senninger Irrigation (Orlando) and my line pressure is about 65 PSI. I've replaced two of these already, using Rain Drip brand reducers (the screw-on type, not the cheesy colored plastic inserts) and these may be good but I'd rather know I'm getting a quality replacement rather than waiting to find that these, too, fail after five years.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on the most reliable pressure for my system?

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (7)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi Montalvo,

Your best bet is to visit your local plumbing supplies or garden supply store and talk to the experts there. Then research the information further on the internet. But IMHO I would just buy one that would handle your mainline flow and install it in-line before your zones that have the same pressure requirements. Aloha

• montalvo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mahalo, lehua. I'll check with Ewing, an irrigation chain store in my area. Unfortunately, I need a pressure reducer for each drip line, since I have lawn sprinklers on the system as well and most of the drip valves come off the main prior to the lawn sprinklers.

Bob

• copejunkie
    15 years ago

if i am reading this right, you have fifteen different drip zones. Right?

Just off the top of my head (i have no clue what pressure regulators are running these days) but it might almost be worth the extra time to isolate all your drip valves to a seperate place, and let them all run off of one PR.

and as for brand, we always got whatever the Rainbird store around here has.. i can't recall make. But i would bet it was a Rainbird brand PR.

• montalvo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, copejunkie. Unfortunately, my valves are scattered far and wide around my one acre yard and it would be a major trenching and plumbing job to centralize them. In addition, the cost in piping would likely be more than the cost of individual pressure reducers and the elevation of drippers relative to the valves would render my back-flow preventers dysfunctional.

On Wednesday, I'm off to Ewing Irrigation to get their recommendation on replacements. I'll post what I learn on this thread.

Bob

• copejunkie
    15 years ago

i have never fully understand why people scatter valves all over the yard. I always bank mine in one place (beside the house, or in a flower bed. Just anywhere where it was wasy to hide the boxes).

But my guess is that you are going to drop some bank on 15 seperate PR.

http://store.rainbird.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=37&cat=Drip+Filters%2C+Valves+%26+Pressure+Regulators

according to their site you're lookin at ~15 bucks a pop.

• copejunkie
    15 years ago

do you think you could MS paint a diagram of how your system is set up?

it doesn't have to be detailed... but if i knew what i was working with, then it might help me figure something else out? there's different ways to do things.. with the use of DVF valves and other stuff, you could get rid of the pressure reducers altogether

• montalvo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Copejunkie, thanks for your offer of additional assistance. I went to Ewing and picked up a beefier reducer than the one that was installed, albeit made by the same manufacturer. It was only $9.00 and the rep said that he's never heard of any problems, despite having sold hundreds.

As for any sort of redesign of my system, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that it's out of the question. The thought of digging a 250' trench to install new piping in order to save a few bucks on pressure reducers is out of the question. And the cost of re-piping would likely be way more than the cost of the reducers anyway.

But thanks for the offer just the same.

All the best,

Bob