Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greencreek_gw

Well Point Pump

greencreek
13 years ago

Hello,

I want to put in a well using the well point system to fill a 1 acre pond and have access to water to top off during dry periods. I believe I have the perfect scenario. I already have a shallow well dug about 10' down but it does not produce much water. I know the water table is less than 5' down from this well as I can see the seasonal fluctuation in a low lying area near the pond. Here is my question: If I drive a 1-1/4" well point, what kind of pump system should I put on it? I will turn the pump on and off manually, but if the well does not produce enough water, I would like it to turn off on its own until the water recovers. Also, this is out in a field, and I do not want to build a pump house around the pump. Are there pumps I can use that are made to just sit outside? I have access to 110v electricity. Any advice that someone could offer would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• lehua49
    13 years ago

GC,

Look at submersible pumps. They require very little above ground fittings(access for maintenance and repair). The pump, electrical wiring and piping are all underground. The pump runs from an irrigation controller(manual or automatic). There are google sites describing the set up. JMHO. Aloha

• Michael
    13 years ago

Look into finding a jet or centrifugal pump, I am unaware of a submersible that would be a small enough diameter to drop down the pipe, maybe they do exist.

As far as automating for water level, can't help with those controls, sorry.

If you need to work on a submersible, the discharge line, connected to the top of the pump and running up the hole is pulled out of the hole. If that is no problem, great, if it is you might prefer a centrifugal which is located above ground.

• lehua49
    13 years ago

Your right, Michael, the narrowest one I know of is 3" in diameter. Above ground systems are prone to leaking above ground and in the well piping. Then the system has to be redone. There are plenty of past threads on this type of problem of above ground systems.

GC, increase your well diameter to 3 or 4 inches to give yourself many more options as well as more yield from your well. Aloha

• Michael
    13 years ago

lehua: I surmise the well point method is the quick, relatively cheap and dirty method of getting water out of the ground when it is to be had from a shallow formation. I like the idea of going with a cased well and increasing it's diameter to allow a submersible. If i was needing water bad and only had the money for a well point or just didn't want to dump much money into the project I'd maybe go with a well point understanding it's inherent limitations and demands. Then I'd start saving for a better well and pump!

Have you ever seen a control system setup to be actuated by the water depth down hole, if so, please post a link. I know of systems that are used in municipal water towers that are actuated by a high and low sensor that turn pumps on and off but access to the inside of a tower is easy compared to a well point hole :)

• lehua49
    13 years ago

michael,

Is this what you mean. This one works in a stilling well or small pond next to the main well.

http://www.nextag.com/Little-Giant-Low-Water-582251638/prices-html. Aloha

• Michael
    13 years ago

leuha:

That's the general idea I had in mind but was thinking of a much larger distance between on and off, say in a tank where pump off is at 30' deep and pump on at 40'. Specifically, to operate a well pump system based on depth to water where the objective is to turn the pump off before the water level gets to a submersible pump motor. There are many folks out there with wells with clogged screens and/or gravel formations that might benefit from being able to use what was left of their well capacity without doing more than changing the controls or installing a VSD ($$$ OUCH).

Sonar could be calibrated to work down a well :)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths