Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alect_gw

Rainbird ESP Modular system troubleshooting

alect
14 years ago

we have a Rainbird ESP modular controller for several zones around the front and back yards. It has been working fine until one day our water tanks emptied for no good reason. I have investigated and it seems that the system emptied the tanks as Zone 1 is currently on - so I tried to switch it off - reset all programs even switched to manual - but still Zone 1 is ON. I even switched the controller to OFF and Zone 1 is still ON.

Is this a valve problem? How do I troubleshoot and fix it?

Comments (5)

• cindy_xeri-ously
    14 years ago

alect
    If the clock is not responding to commands, remove the back up battery and disconnect clock from all electricity for a short time such as 60 minutes so the clock will loose all programming and you can re-program clock. If your clock is hard-wired and not a plug in type, just flip off that breaker for a bit and reprogram.

If the clock is operating normaly and the problem is the valve itself, then it is either debris in the valve diaphram or solenoid or a bad solenoid. Turn off water at the main and open up valve and clean out the diaphram and the solenoid too. Or buy a new valve with solenoid and replace the whole top of the valve

• alect
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think the clock is fine (or at least not the problem) since even when set to off Zone 1 is ON.

So I raised the cover of the valves and there are 4 down there and I don't see markings to tell which is which. How do I know? How do I remove the top (vale and solenoid)? Just pull them off? Each also seems to have an OFF/ON switch next to the top of the valve - each seems to be set to OFF - what are these manual overrides? Can I manually override the solenoid/valve setting?

• homr
    14 years ago

Sounds like the #1 valve is stuck open. Probably something stuck between the diaphragm and seat. You should be able to locate the right valve by looking at the color wire attached to the #1 terminal on the controller and then finding the valve in the box with that same color. Then you will have to shut off the water at the supply. If your a handy guy, you can then take the top portion of the valve off. If it is a jartop type of valve, just loosen the cap and remove. Just be careful as there is a spring in there along with the diaphragm. You can then check for any debris or a damaged diaphragm seat Be care ful as you do not want to introduce any dirt into the valve. If it is not a jartop, but is held by screws, remove screws and pull top off. I would start with this and see what you find. Be sure to put it back together the same as it was.

• wanamoran34_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

station 1 2 3 4 come on others say no Mod 1

• terranostra_live_co_uk
    12 years ago

the alarm light is on and will not go off .... and the only way for the cycle to run is to bypass the rain sensor so can anyone help ????????????

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting