Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom4_gw

Sprinkler Wells

tom4
14 years ago

I just had a new well dug at my house in South Florida due to a recent pressure reading indicating the pump was not drawing enough water. I've had a 220v 2 horse power pump on my house for over 15 years. When the well company saw my pump, after installing the new well, they said they would not warranty the well if I continued using my pump. They stated that 2hp was to powerful for a 2" well and that it would deplete the well in a few years. They said 1.5hp was what the reccomend and would then warranty the well. I stated that the 2hp pump has been there for years but they insisted that was for lakes and that I need a 1.5hp pump or I'll destroy the well. Are they right? They also reccomended 1"1/2 pipe from the check valve to the pump. My pump currently has a 2" intake. Any feed back would help.

Comments (4)

• lehua49
    14 years ago

tom,

There is much missing information from your post in order to really give a meaningful suggestion. Did the well company do a "yield test" after installing your well. That is a test that determines the flow rate you can sustainably draw from the well. Also did they do an investigation of other wells in your area and obtain the same information. If they did these things then you can trust their opinion. You also didn't mention the depth of the well and its static water level. This determines the volume in the well. This volume and the yield determines your flow rate. You can get a second and third opinion from other pump companies. You need to match your pump rate with what your well can sustainable yield otherwise your quantity and quality of water will deteriorate over time. JMHO. Others please chime in on this especially other pump well owners. Aloha

• tom4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The well is 40' deep. It's a 2" well. I live near the ocean and Intracostal Waterway so through experience the company will not go deeper due to salt water intrusion. I don't know if they did a yield test, they just drilled 40' stuck a pump on it and said the water was good. They said they've had problems with 2hp pumps breaking down the wells due to the volume of water they pull and that they use the 2hp pumps in canals and lakes that have plenty of water. I just thought that was wrong because there has been a 2hp pump on my house for 15years. They said the max that should be there is a 1.5hp. I don't want to replace the pump but I sure don't want to replace the well again. There are only 4 companies here that do well drilling and the one I used is the largest.

• lehua49
    14 years ago

Tom,

If your flow rate out strip the intrusion rate of the well it will scour and produce sediment in the water. What is the intrusion rate of the well (permeability of the soil). What are the flow rates and pressure (psi) produced for the two different pumps? They are probably giving you a general idea of what most people use in a 2" well in your area and don't have well problems or they have experience with well problems with 2 hp pumps in 2" wells. Check what your local water board or municipal water works recommends. They will know the common intrusion rates for the area. They may have a standing recommendation of what to use to limit the communities salt water intrusion risk. The question is what amount of water do you need for your yard? Can a 1.5 hp pump meet that need? Can you return the pump and exchange it for a 1.5 hp one? How much did the 2" well installation and 2 hp pump cost you? Was they previous well 2" in diameter? Do you have any neighbors with wells and what is the size of pump and well? Are the well installers involved with installing your pump? Aloha

• richbahama
    14 years ago

One quick question regarding sprinkler systems fed with a well system. Do you need to install a pressure tank and pressure switch in the system? We have had some issues with the supply line blowing off, mostly some fittings let loose. Right now the pump comes on via a contactor powered by the smart box.