Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madymo3d

Northern vs southern sprinkler heads

madymo3d
13 years ago

I live in lower Michigan where temps go below freezing. I had my sprinklers winterized yesterday, and I asked him where I can get replacement heads cheap. He said the cheap ones from the big box stores like Lowes and HD are not meant to be winterized because they're meant for use in Southern states and lack certain seals. He said after being blown out with compressed air, they will start leaking next season and after a few seasons, they will shoot out of the ground when pressurized with air. I didn't refute his claim, as I asked the question and he answered, but I thought the answer was a bit odd. So, are there North vs South sprinklers heads?

They also did not blow the system out until nothing came out. They only did each zone one time and stopped when some heads were still misting. He said it's fine, they do all the houses like that and they service 6500 systems. In the past, I think the guy (different company) kept blowing until nothing came out of any of the heads. While I don't think there's enough water left in the system to do damage, I just didn't think it's a thorough job. But then again, little bit here and there, once they all drain to a low spot it might be enough water to do damage. Is it standard procedure to only go around the zones once and not blow out until all heads are clear?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner