Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Northern vs southern sprinkler heads

Posted by madymo3d 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 9:15

I live in lower Michigan where temps go below freezing. I had my sprinklers winterized yesterday, and I asked him where I can get replacement heads cheap. He said the cheap ones from the big box stores like Lowes and HD are not meant to be winterized because they're meant for use in Southern states and lack certain seals. He said after being blown out with compressed air, they will start leaking next season and after a few seasons, they will shoot out of the ground when pressurized with air. I didn't refute his claim, as I asked the question and he answered, but I thought the answer was a bit odd. So, are there North vs South sprinklers heads?

They also did not blow the system out until nothing came out. They only did each zone one time and stopped when some heads were still misting. He said it's fine, they do all the houses like that and they service 6500 systems. In the past, I think the guy (different company) kept blowing until nothing came out of any of the heads. While I don't think there's enough water left in the system to do damage, I just didn't think it's a thorough job. But then again, little bit here and there, once they all drain to a low spot it might be enough water to do damage. Is it standard procedure to only go around the zones once and not blow out until all heads are clear?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Northern vs southern sprinkler heads

I was actually laughing reading your note. I'll let others weigh in, but nothing that was told to you sounds right to me. Also, you don't have to get the last bit of water out of the lines, but stopping before all the heads are misting doesn't sound like a best practice.

"He said after being blown out with compressed air, they will start leaking next season and after a few seasons, they will shoot out of the ground when pressurized with air."

That's gold Jerry, gold!

o

mmo,

What does the contractor charge($$) and how long does it take them to do the whole job? Did you watch them do the work? Aloha

o

It was $35 and took them maybe 15 minutes. Normal price for this region is $40+. I won't be using them again.

o

mmo,

Let's see, 2 job an hour because of travel time $70/hr @ 10 hr/day is $700/day with 6 day week is $4,200/week and work for 8 weeks that $33,600. OMG, not bad for 2 months work.

Go in renting the compressor with your neighbors and help each other in doing the work. Not a problem DIY. No such thing as you related in your heading. JMHO. Aloha

o

I'm a big DIY guy, but I kept reading about not doing sprinkler blowout DIY. I think I will have tough time finding enough people to go in on renting a big enough compressor and towing it around to make it worthwhile. It's unfortunate because I'm a big believer in DIY. I did see one neighbor use his own upright (maybe 60 gallon) garage compressor.

o

mmo,

First things first. Would you know how to connect one up if you could? The next step is to disregard those who tell you it can't be done before you make the attempt. aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here