Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing barb fitting from tubing

Posted by randy41 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 9:21

i have some 1/2" PE tubing and a couple of barbs that connect it to 1/4" tubing broke. is there a way to easily remove and replace them without them breaking off inside the 1/2" tubing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing barb fitting from tubing

randy,

Well, the obvious question is: are the barbs broken off and are inside the tubing or is there a stub sticking out? Have the holes for the barbs been enlarged by the breaking off? How is the end of the line closed off? Do you need to replace any section of the Poly line? Aloha

o

there is a stub sticking out. the end of the line is closed off with the figure 8 fittings.

o

there is a ring around the barb that keeps it from going all the way through. what I have found to work is take a pair of snips and cut the barb between the ring and the tubing then put in a new barb. if you feel it's needed you can take the closure off the end of the tubing and flush the broken bit out.

o

i'll try your method mike. sounds like a good one. they broke from me stepping on them.

o

Can you heat the tubing up?

I know that with the drip irrigation tubing, it helps to have a thermos of hot water.

I know it's not quite the same, but I recently replaced my heater hoses on my truck's radiator. There was a barbed fitting in there that broke. I found it to be easy to remove the barbed fitting after crushing it.

Another alternative might be to use some sort of penetrating lubricant.

If they do break, you can probably flush them out.

o

i just broke a 1/4 barb off when installing it. It broke off at the little flanges or whatever they are. I would like to know if it is OK to just pull it out or do I need to plug it or try to cut the fitting to get it out? I think I can get a hold of it with needle nose pliers, but don't know if it will make the hole too large and cause a leak? Suggestions anyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here