Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain barrel irrigation

Posted by heavyoilguy Z2 ALBERTA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 9:45

Hi all.
This is what I would like to do , any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
I would ike to water my greenhouse with a 3 (45 gal barrel system connected together ).These are approx 3' off the ground. I need to water 1 bed 5' x 22' and 1 bed 2' x 32', so far I have been manually watering with a hose and spigot attached to the barrels , due to the length of time involved , and sometimes being away , it has a tendancy to dry out rather quickly,
so i would like to hook up some kind of pump and timer and drip system, I have not tried the drip system as is because there is only about 1-1/2 psi , and i dont think it is enough , any idea on what kind of pump to use would be great, Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain barrel irrigation

hog,

A small submersible pump might be what you are looking for or a transfer pump outside your barrels. What flow and pressure would you need. Aloha

o

Lehua,
I was thinking 25-30gph, and probably around 15-20 psi for drip irrigation ??

o

Here is a 12v model that might do the trick, it's a diaphragm pump though and I'm guessing you'd prefer 110v instead - http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/FLOJET-Potable-Water-Supply-Pump-2XE90

I am unaccustomed to dealing with pumps that small except for metering fluids, many metering pumps are much more expensive than the one in the link above.

A small peristaltic ("squeeze") pump may fit the bill though the price could be out of reach. I've used several diaphragm pumps for metering bleach and polyphosphates over the years and have found them to be troublesome, they have all been replaced with peristaltic pumps.

o

hog,

First design how many emitter heads you need and what the flow rate will be for the heads. Add that up and see what your gpm or gph rate you will need. Also decide how long you want a zone to irrigate. Your gph will decide how long it will take to irrigate. Also calculate time and rate to get volume of water needed per irrigation cycle per zone. compare that with your storage capacity and see how long your storage will last. In other words, start with your needs and work backward to design your distribution and then your storage amount. Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here