Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Automatic watering of pot

Posted by MunasingheAnanda none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 12:19

I have successfully tried a method to water a potted plant automatically using a bottle of water.

Method: Fill a bottle with water, invert it and bury in the pot along side the plant as in figure.

Some water will leak into the soil at the mouth of the bottle until no more air is available there to be sucked into the bottle. The moisture at the mouth of the bottle will gradually reach the root system of the plant by capillary action.

After some time the plant absorbs water from the pot soil and cause it to be dry. Some water can evaporate too.Then air can be sucked into the bottle again to release some more water. This process goes on until the bottle becomes empty when it has to be manually filled, inverted and buried again. However the top soil of the pot will remain dry.

The chicken drinker of poultry farms has inspired me.

This method ensures that the amount of water required to keep the root system just wet is supplied automatically.

To prevent water from flowing out through the bottom drain hole, either a pot with the drain hole about two centimeters above the bottom can be taken or the mouth of the bottle can be placed in a cup full of soil buried at the bottom.

In case of outdoor pots the bottle of water will not be consumed during rain.

If required a suitable liquid fertilizer can be added to the water in the bottle.

Your views please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Automatic watering of pot

mun,

How long have you been doing this experiment? What size bottle do you use? What type of plants are you watering? My inquiring mind wants to know. Have you thought about wicking into the pot from a water tray under the pot? Aloha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here