Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frozen sprinkler system

Posted by krunch49 MN (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 12:59

I was gone when the quick Thanksgiving freeze hit in MN. Now I have a frozen sprinkler system full of water--luckily I had detached it from my house. Is there anything I can do to lessen the possible damage? Or any suggestions on how to get the frozen water out?
Thanks
Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frozen sprinkler system

I assume this is an underground system. If it is on the surface, just take the hoses somewhere inside above freezing and let them thaw. For an underground sprinkler, the ground may not be frozen as deeply as the lines are buried so you may be able to drain them with little or no damage.

If you have ice in the lines, pour gas line de-icer (usually methyl alcohol) into the lines and let it work. We use that to open up the drain at work on a flat roof in the spring when the snow melts but the drain is frozen solid and a lake forms and water starts coming inside.......

Alternatively, pour full strength propylene glycol antifreeze into the lines where you unhooked them from the house.

Either way, after an hour, try to clear out whatever has melted and re-treat. You should be able to melt your way through the ice and it won't risk corrosion the way using salt will.

If you have any drains on the lines, make sure those are open to let any water drain out.

o
RE: frozen sprinkler system

Thanks beeone, for sharing the information about frozen sprinkler system. It seems to be pretty helpful for us all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here