Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffreym_gw

Proper Quantity of water for pine tree seedlings via drip irrigat

jeffreym
16 years ago

Hi:

I have some open land in Central Michigan that I want to reclaim with pine trees. They get full sun for most of the day. The soil is classified by Michigan State University soil test as "loamy sand" with low,high,low NPK. I currently grow pumpkins under black plastic mulch with tee tape drip irrigation with holes spaced every 8 inches. I would like to know the "ultimate range" of water I could deliver to several hundred pine tree seedlings that I will be getting from the County Conservation District this spring. They will be Red Pine and White Pine (maybe some Jack Pine also). I can grow them under the plastic, or without the plastic. I can drip for as long or short as I want (timers), and as often (daily, weekly, monthly?) as I want. So my question is, what would be the perfect amount of water to give to these 2-4 year seedlings (12 to 28 inches tall). Some are just a couple of years old and some are transplants from seed beds. Again, sandy loam, full sun. The area around is an old pine plantation with 50 foot red and white pines, so I know they grow naturally....I just want to speed things along (deer cover). Also, I do have a fertalizer injector, so any information on that would be helpful also.

Thanks a bunch....Jeff-

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner