Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brass vs. Plastic

Posted by uscgardener USDA 9 Sunset 20/21 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 19:25

Is there any benefit to use brass sprinkler control valves as opposed to the normal plastic ones? I would like to believe that the brass ones would stand up better over time and are less likely to break/malfunction, but is that really true? I am not opposed to investing in brass valves if it means better performance over time, but would just like to confirm that before shelling out $$$.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brass vs. Plastic

usc,

In my humble opinion, no. Plastic is engineered today to be equivalent to metal, in fact better. What is important is what is inside of the plastic housing. Usually the plastic sprinklers have metal parts inside where quality is needed. A reputable brands have very durable parts and products. Water and installation quality are the most important factors affecting a systems longevity. let's hear from the experts. Save the money to buy a higher quality controller. Aloha

o

Hi lehua,

Thanks for the response. Any recommendations on some good quality valves? Mostly I see Orbit around here, and it is easily available at the big box store. But I have heard Orbit is not very durable and is kind of bottom of the line as far as quality. What are your thoughts on this?

o

Go USC,

Hunter, Rainbird, Nelson, maybe Toro. If you buy from an irrigation store you can't go wrong. They will give beneficial advice compared to the BB Stores. Aloha

o

I have both in my yard and they have all run problem free for 25 years or more. The reason I have both is that I had a lot of old brass control valves but needed more. Plastic was a lot cheaper so I tried them and both are good.

o

Plastic valves are better because the primary reason for this change in materials is cost. Machined metal parts are enormously expensive in comparison to injection molded plastic. A few companies manufacture plastic sprinkler bodies which accept brass nozzles, which they claim results in a better water pattern like hybrid valves.

o

uscgardener, I prefer plastic because:-
1. They are readily available.
2. They are economical. I replace rather than try to repair.
3. They can equal, or even better, the performance of a brass sprinkler. They are easily customized for gpm, droplet size, throw and arc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here