Return to the Irrigation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding hose spigot to main line

Posted by sandiegodude CA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 20:17

So I want to tee into the main line of my irrigation to add a hose spigot. I have attached some photos...where is the best place to tap into this line? This is in an area of the yard where I'm honestly not picky. It could be in the area I dug up or even to the left of the control box you can see in the picture.

I think it makes little difference if it's before or after the shut-off valve (which is in the green box) since I've never shut this valve off and this hose won't be used constantly, so it's just a matter of finding someplace easy to tap into this.

I am somewhat handy, but inexperienced with irrigation issues like this. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding hose spigot to main line

sandiegodude, I would install the hose spigot ahead of the shut off valve in the control box; the reason being that you will be able to use the spigot even when you have to shut down the irrigation system.

o

SDD,

I second RAL's comment and add this. When building your spigot system reinforce the bend with concrete or blocks at the 90 degree bends. Place the concrete to counteract the force that is created when moving water changes direction at the 90 degree bends. That means place the mass on the outside of the bend. JMHO Aloha

o

Yeeeesss! Water hammer must have been in the back of "Murphy's" mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Irrigation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here