Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebow

sprinkler head leaking after blow out???

rebow
15 years ago

I have a mystery....my neighbor has a sprinkler head that sits on our property line that constantly leaks for a year now. The plants grow great there, lol. He has blown out his lines, shut off the water to the irrigation system and bled out the line by opening that little screw. Still leaks. Then he got a theory that perhaps the builder tied this sprinkler head into my lines even though it only comes on when his sprinklers are spraying and only blows out when his lines are blown. So after my system was winterized my neighbor opened the bleeder screw and no water came out of my lines. YET THE SPRINKLER HEAD IS STILL LEAKING! So, in summary, a sprinkler head is leaking that sits between two properties whose irrigation systems have both been blown out, shut off and bled. Also, neither of our water meters are showing water consumption. WHAT IS GOING ON?????? My neighbor is an engineer and a super handy man so this could be hurting his ego!!!! Please help.

Comments (5)

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi rebow

Here is one of many possibilities. Since you have turned off both of your lines and an area around the sprinkler remains wet (do you actually see it leaking from the sprinkler head), you might have artesian flow coming from the ground. Take the sprinkler head off. If the lines are blown, there should be no water in the sprinkler head body or it may go into it from the surrounding ground. If there is water in the line still, it may be from a cracked lateral line that has water going back into it from the outside soil or your system has a main valve leak. It sounds like this head is in a low area that collects seepage from the entire yard. With what you described, it sound like your lines are not connected to your neighbors. I am making a lot of assumptions. One test, if the sprinkler head has water in it, is to sponge it out and watch where the water comes from. Check it out. GL Aloha.

• spinklersintherain
    15 years ago

Is the head on a slope? The lowest head on a zone will weap for hours after the system is shut off as the lateral lines empty in it.
    Has he replaced the diaphram in the valve? Sometimes a pin hole is enough to let water slowly by but not open the valve all the way. The lowest head would leak in this case.
    There has to be a reason. There is no such thing as spinkler magic.

• hookoodooku
    15 years ago

I believe lehua13 is steering you in the right direction.

To really determine if there is a leak from the head and not something else (like ground water drainage), dig down as much as needed and remove the sprinkler head (this shouldn't require much digging as the TOP should most likely be able to unscrew allowing the "guts" of the head to be serviced without digging the whole head up out of the ground and disconnecting it from the pipes).

If there IS water comming up into the sprinkler head with both of ya'll systems shut down and no water meaters turning, then about the only thing that makes any sense to me is that he has a broken pipe that is somehow allowing water back-into the system after a blowout. After all, it is possible that a broken line has created a little cave underground that fills with water when he runs the irrigation system. When he then blows out the system, that little cave can still be filled with water. Then, with the system shut down, water from the little storage cave could be flowing back into the broken pipe and out the leaking head.

• rebow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your replies, once the ground unfreezes here in 6b we'll look into this further. Any new idea welcome.

• ted123
    15 years ago

Sounds like the valve is leaking from the diaphragm. They can change out the diaphragm or replace the entire valve.

Here is a link that might be useful: leaky valve