Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

Soaker hoses on a hillside

I have some clients that have modest sloped hillside, wedge-shaped, roughly 2000sf. The slope is not even but is approximately 4:1. The intent is to provide summer irrigation of this area with soaker hoses - inground irrigation is not an option at this time.

Given the fact that a water source is approximately 85 feet away from the apex, at the bottom of the slope, is this a feasible plan? Will there be sufficient pressure at the top of the run for soakers to work effectively? Generally, water pressure from hose bibs in this area is more than adequate to run soakers on flat ground - in fact pressure regulators are often required to lower it enough so that soakers are not blown out. But I'm not familiar enough with running hoses uphill to know if this will work.

any pearls of wisdom?

Comments (2)

• jean001
    17 years ago

The problem with soaker hoses is that they're *not* pressure-compensated. Thus, if you run them upslope, or downslope, output will be very uneven over the length of the run.

• chiaki0730
    17 years ago

Hi Juan001,

I have a similar problem that gradengal48 has. I'm considering to switch to RAINDRIP(C) system, but 1/4'' or 1/2'' drip-along pipe will have same problem? Just wondering what would be the difference between this and soaker hose.

Thanks!
    -b

Here is a link that might be useful: Raindrip drip-along pipe