Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warren_cascade

Remote drip irrigation system

warren.cascade
16 years ago

Hello,

I am planning to plant in about 30 shrubs and trees at a semi-remote location. I was wondering if you'll have experience/examples/critique of such systems.

The current plan is to place 20 x 55 gallon barrels that will be all linked together at the top of a hill. Then fasten in a drip irrigation system running down the hill to all the plants that will have a solar powered or battery timer. I'm figuring 2 gallons of water per plant per week. There is a road 300' from where the barrels will be placed, so if they don't get filled up by the late winter and spring rains i am thinking i can run a hose/pipe to the barrels from the road and can fill them up from a water trailer.

It's on the edge of being an elaborate(too much energy/money input) system for the bounty I'll be planting in, but I'm currently feeling it's worth it. Since it'll be a few years before I get in better road and water access, and if I get these plants established then I may have some food crops going by the time I start building on the land.

Although I am also tempted to just try and plant in native or more drought tolerant plants this year so I don't have to install this system.

These are the native plants I'm planning to plant in:

red osier dogwood

blue elderberry

black huckelberry

and these not so native:

chestnut

english walnut

cherry red currant

blueberry

Anyway around it, I'm looking forward to some fun up at twisted hazels orchard in Toutlel, WA this late winter spring.

thanks,

warren neth