Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_drew_gw

Getting To Know You

nancy_drew
15 years ago

Since I came back here this fall, I've come to feel like we're all friends here. We talk on and on about our common interest, and love of our garden, but we haven't talked much about who we are. I think it might be nice to get to know each other better.

My real name is Nancy. I am a 51 year old married mother of one boy, aged 14. I've been married for 16 years to an incredible man, who for some strange reason, has decided that I am worth keeping.

We live in a condo that we purchased when our apartment complex converted. We're still fixing it up, slowly... especially now with the economy being so bad.

We have two cats and a dog, I would love to have more. Our animals help to bring balance to our everyday lives. It wouldn't be home without them. Although if I came home with one more animal, hubby might change his mind. :)

During the summer, I work as a pool attendant for our HOA. I really enjoy that, it gives me such an opportunity to meet and know my neighbors. People are always in such a hurry these days, the pool gives me a captive audience and sometimes a show at the same time!

Now.... tell us a little bit about YOU!

Comments (46)

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

okay I will go next. :)
    real name is Lois, I live in SW Ontario and have been married to my DH for 40 years this Aug. (I was married VERY young! :-))
    I have a son&daughter-in-law and a daughter and 6 grandchildren--two grandsons and four granddaughters ranging in age from 13 yrs(on Feb. 19) down to 19 months.
    We have lived in our present house for 33 years and have had many furbabies over the years but right now we just have two greyhounds.
    I work part-time and although I enjoy it, I really need more time to do the things I want to do!
    I LOVE growing things from seed and after having discovered WS last year I am in my glory! :)
    Who's next??
    gg/Lois

• clumsygrdner
    15 years ago

My name's Janina, but everyone round here just calls me by my more descriptive name: Clumsy. I answer to both. ;)

I'm 25 and live with my mother who also just happens to be my bestest best friend. My dog is Sammy. His job is to make sure that there is enough oxygen in the air. When he stops barking... I worry.

I garden in a small lot infested with lawn which I am slowing killing off and planting veggies, flowers and herbs.

Some of my favorite flowers are all spring flowering bulbs, zinnias, and larkspur. My favorite veggie is lettuce.

• albertar
    15 years ago

Hmmm, ok, here goes...My name is Alberta. I hail from Long Island, and been on the Island all my life. I am now 61 years old, and I'm a mom to two adult children, ages 40 and 34. I'm a grandma to six, 4 boys and 2 girls, ages running from 19 down to 5.

I've been winter sowing since 2001, when Trudi found me and turned me on to this forum. We live in just about the middle of the Island, about 55 miles east of NYC and the property is 1/4 acre. I've pretty much filled up the yard with perennials, and there isn't much more room left out there, LOL. My latest passion has become day lily's. So some things are being ripped out to make more room for them.
    I also have a myspace page with the url being: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=413956064

Dang that is long, but I think thats how its copied and pasted. Come visit my page if you can, :)

Alberta

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

I'm a relative newbie so didn't even know about this "conversation" board until I saw Nancy's post in the regular forum.

My real name is Joe (Giuseppe Giovanni when I'm planting San Marzano tomatoes!) and I retired last year at the ripe old age of 55. Got laid off as Training Director for large financial institution the month I turned 55 (go figure!), and decided to take sabbatical from university teaching.

I have two grown children, but no grands. I live by myself with my two Dobies and a crazy African Grey parrot who talks up a storm and let's loose with the occasional "profanity." Hmmm, where'd he hear that? ;-)

The transition to retirement after working two jobs was horrible. Last year I built my first SQF and planted veggies just to keep myself occupied. I've gardened for years, most mostly annuals and perennials, but I had a great time with the veggies.

This is my first year WSing and I'm really loving it. I think it's the "process" part that appeals to me. That and collecting seeds! Along with reading, writing creatively, cooking, and enjoying the heck out of back-yard birdwatching, gardening keeps me grounded and active.

Glad to meet everyone here!

Joe

• daisy08(London UK)
    15 years ago

even I did not know about this "conversation" board until I saw Nancy's post.

My name is samira and I am from india. i am 32 and i know my husband for past 15 yrs. i work full time as software engineer and have a 3 yr old son.

I was not interested in gardening till last year. It started with planting some bulbs, then i bought some plants from supermarket and then i started liking it. DH thinks my new hobby will go soon and has no idea about me getting addicted to wintersowing.

most probably i will be moving to US this summer and garden space will be my first priority while searching for new house :)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Well, here goes...

My real name is Nicole, I am 50, I have a 14 year old daughter, and have been married for 14 years. (Very similar to you Nancy. :O)

I used to manage restaurants, but last year decided to do something different and in November began managing a gas station with a busy convenience store. Love it!

I live in beautiful Nova Scotia, Canada, a province where you are always - at the most - only an hours drive away from the Atlantic Ocean. Our home is but a property away from the wonderful waters of Shad Bay.

My DM taught me that the gardens can be such a peaceful place and has many wonders to behold. I was in the middle of 9 siblings and that is where our one on one time was spent when I was a child. Truly precious!

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi every one,
    My name is Carol,i am 61 years old,i have 4 children-3 living(i never know how to answer this)there boys and a daughter,who also is my best friend,and also who loves to garden.She is 41-son-44-son-33.
    I live with my hubby,and have been married 18 years.
    He helps me with all the heavy stuff,and encourages me to always do more.
    We raise hosta,and sell at farmers markets,plus,one big garden show a year.
    This is my really first big year WSing,i did some last year,but nothing like this year,plus,i joined my first seed trade with the SS.and now in Payyt's.
    We have a home we built ourselfes,on 5 achers of wooded land,slowly becoming all garden,ha ha
    I no nothing about sun gardening,but am learning so much from all of you.When my children were small, i had a large veggie garden,and a sun garden, but that has been a long time ago.
    I am hoping to plant some veggies again this year,and do some canning.
    My favorite colors for my front garden are pastels,in my back garden,hot colors, i hope,this year we will see what happenes.
    I really enjoy every ones comments,and Joe,always makes me laught with his COS,remarkes.
    I picture you Joe,counting seeds in every container,and making sure every thing is just so,so(sow,sow):0)
    Ok, i'm done,who is next.
    Oh,yes,it is nice to offically meet all of you.
    Thank you Nancy,for directing us over here,it really is nice to know a little bit about our new friends.
    Carol
    Carol

• norabelle
    15 years ago

Hi, All,

My name real name is Joanna. I am 37, and I have been with my husband for 18 years and married to him for 11 of those years. We have two daughters, 6 and 3. We have a 14-year-old cat, and we are fostering a three-year-old cat. I live in Northeast, WI, and we are fortunate to have a lot and a half in an older neighbor. (By old, this means not recently built. My husband grew up in a house built in 1881, which I consider old, so ours is 68 years young. :) )

I quit teaching at the secondary level two years ago to stay home with our young girls. I teach online and copy edit to feed my garden habit and enable our family to take an occasional mini-vacation to a water park or a cabin "Up North."

We have lived in our home for 10 years, and I have worked throughout that time to enrich our compact clay soil. I enjoy composting and gardening. I started with tomatoes, roses, and garlic. Now I have over 30 different kinds of perennials and vegetables blooming, and I don't know how many annuals I will try this year. This is the fun that is Winter Sowing!

Last year I started lasagna gardening along with winter sowing, and I am thrilled with the results. I would love to turn more of our lawn into flower beds, edible ground cover, and alternative grass plantings. I would also like a couple of chickens, but I don't think we are ready yet. My husband is fully on board with the gardening plans as he dislikes mowing, spending time thinking about grass, or spreading chemicals on the ground that could harm us or the environment.

My daughters love insects, butterflies, and worms, so it is a pleasure to work in the garden with them and grow plants that attract all of these things. Our goal is to raise and release a monarch butterfly, but we have only been able to get a caterpillar to the chrysalis stage. They also love going out into the yard and being able to eat out of the gardens. We have worked on training them to ask first if something can be eaten.

The winters get long in Wisconsin sometimes, so winter sowing and GW help to chase away the winter blues.

Thanks for starting this thread, Nancy.

cheers,
    Joanna

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

My name is Jan, lillyjane comes from my Grandma lilly, & my Granny nelliejane, I am 51. DH & I will have our 35th wedding anniversary this June. Yes, I was 16 & he was 18 sooo many years ago. We have 3 sons ages 26, 25, & our baby just turned 18 years old last Friday, 2 DIL's & 1 future DIL, & 3 beautiful grandaugthers ages 6, 2, & 1, & last but not least 4 dogs. I was lucky enough to get to be a stay at home Mom when the boys were small. For about 11 years I did decorative painting (started with crafts & later moved on to murals on walls) & gave a few classes here & there, I got tired of that & took a job as a school cook for a few years, got tired of that, & I got my real estate license in Mo & Ks & hated that! so currently I work 3 days a week at the local herb shop. I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up !?! Since 1984 we have lived in the very southeast corner of KS on 12 acres, 3 miles from the local Dollar General store, about 11 miles from Walmart, & 15 minutes away from the hospital, (that last one was very important to us with 3 sons, somebody always needed stitches or an x-ray it seemed! LOL)
    My Grandparents gardened, my parents gardened, My Dad & Hubby would have contests every year to see who would get the first ripe tomato. We lost Dad to cancer 2 years ago, that was hard, especially on Mom. I have worked in the local greenhouse also, transplanting, taking cuttings, & made a few deliveries, I'm basically just a jack of all trades & master of none. I am soooo glad that I have found Garden Web & winter sowing, Thanks Trudi & every one else for being here.
    jan aka lillyjane ")

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    15 years ago

I am another Lois; perhaps one of the youngest Lois' in captivity, since the name seemed to be going out of style 43 years ago when I arrived, needing a name...

Other things about me... I am married to a wonderful guy who is super-supportive and patient with this whacky gardener who grows flowers in old milk jugs and can talk for a good 30 minutes about the wonders of compost... No kids, but finally talked hubby-the-confirmed-dog-person into getting 2 kittens a couple years ago, and they have been an endless source of entertainment and affection for both of us... Discovered the gardenweb forums years ago when I fell in love with old roses... Now I have branched out from roses to other gardening passions such as hummingbird flowers - and wintersowing. We live in a small house in a small town on the edge of the Amish country in Pa, watching the suburbs creeping closer every year. My favorite flower is probably still whatever rose might be blooming in my garden at the moment, but now I also appreciate hydrangea, autumn sage, herbs, penstemon, and many other flowers.

I will be taking the plunge into veggie gardening this summer after reading bakemom and others' pesto rhapsodies, I mean, recipes. :-)

Lois in PA

• PVick
    15 years ago

Hey guys! A couple of years ago, Ron started a members gallery, which is still up ....

WS Members Gallery

Oh, I'm Phyllis, wintersower for the past 8 years and now embarking on the 9th! I'm a container gardener, with an 11th floor balcony as my "acreage".

I'm looking 60 in the eye in another few months (geez, where'd the years go?); no children. Just me and my crazy cat Gracie.

I've spent the last 40 years as a computer professional - yup, I remember the days of the big, clunky mainframes - although it seems that lately I've morphed into an accountant/statistician (hate it!).

Happy WSing all!

PV

• genoprizebull
    15 years ago

I'm Gene and live in Akron which is between Buffalo and Rochester.We have 4 kids,2 horses,2 sheep,cows and pigs that come and go and a pile of manure that is free to anyone.
    We have 5 acres of hay and about an acre that I want to change back into habitat for deer and other wildlife.I've put some red oak and pine tres so far and am looking for any suggestions.I'd love to help anybody that has a deer problem as hunting is another hobby of mine.My garden has a lot of native plants (weeds)but has enough vegetable and flowers to justify having one.I really enjoy gardening and am trying wintersowing this year.Garlic and tomatoes are my favs if I had to pick,but I've tried and enjoyed just about everything.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

I like this! I always wonder when I'm trading or chatting with people.

Hello! My real name is Lisa. I just turned 45, I have two children. My daughter will be 21 and my son just turned 18. I call them hellfire and damnation...lol

I don't have any pets, I lost mine a year ago and can't decide if I should get another one. Well, I can't decide if I want to go through losing another one!

I joined garden web about a year ago and I'm a gardenwebaholic. I love trading for seeds and joining round robins.

I garden on 1/4 acre of my land and a long stretch of town owned land and have only done flowers to date. I plan on trying a small veggie garden this year.

Nice to meet you all.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

OOOPs,

I forgot to mention that I'm married and have been for 24 years.......don't tell him I forgot about him! lol

Lisa

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Okay am going to try this again! I had a whole post typed out here and then sneezed, knocked my mouse off the desk and my coffee cup over (empty)and looked up and I had knocked myself off the sight! Just a little bit more info about me! haha!
    Anyway...It is fun reading about you all here. I had forgotten about the gallery of pics that PV put in her post. There are other pics scattered throughout the WS site, but nice to have them in one spot. Thanks for the reminder about the link and nice to 'see' you Phyllis. There are lots of people over there that are not posting anymore. Are you lurking? Any newbies got a pic that you could post?
    Nicole/tiffy, I had seen your pic with your daughter and am surprised that you are fifty! I was married young and even though we have been married for forty years this Aug., I am not much older than you. I envy you your location, I have always wanted to see the east coast! and to live there must be great.
    It is nice to meet another Lois! I have met only one or two in my life.
    Joe or should I say Guiseppe :)--I am planning to plant San Marzano tomatoes for the first time this year after getting some seeds in a trade.

Well I am not going to mention everyone by name but I have enjoyed reading about each one of you and getting to know you.
    Thanks for starting this post Nancy.
    gg/Lois

• glok
    15 years ago

Hey all, glad to meet all of you! My full name is gloria and we won't try the last cuz it'd drive ya nuts trying to pronounce it. I just turned 58 a few weeks ago, but only admit to 49! Needless to say, I'm a w/s addict. It's all Penny's fault, she sent me here 5 years ago???? Ok... about me.... I love gardening for the birds and butterflies. They are a passion for me. Hummingbirds are my favorite, but love watching the goldies get seed from my hyssop and sunflowers.

We've recently moved from Ft. Meade, MD. where my hubby finished up his 30th year in the USAF. So, we are in a totally new gardening zone that I've never tried before. We are in Woodland Park, CO. Just up the mountain from Colorado Springs in our dream house! We've been married for 16 1/2 years and between the two of us, we have 5 kids ranging in age from 39 to 26. 3 girls, 2 boys. Rick and I have 4 grands ranging in age from 17yrs to 10 months. 3 boys, 1 girl. I love them all the same, but let me tell ya, being grandma is so much more fun than being mom!!!!

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

My name is Karen, and am a happily divorced single mother of three for 15 years (17, 19 and 23). I have my two boys at Ohio State and my daughter is a junior at Upper Arlington who plays clarinet in the marching band. If you have never experienced hell - just imagine a basement full of giggling clarinets all practicing "Meet the Flinstones." I had to go outside worried wild geese would fling themselves at my windows.

I am 47 years old and an attorney for the county specializing in civil litigation. My office has been dubbed "the United Nations of Crazy" due to strange flow of traffic I deal with each day - you name it.

I have been winter sowing for a number of years and host the Newbie Seed Project which is a wonderful and enjoyable hobby. I'm considered tough as nails, but those who know me know that I'm a softie.

I have two cats who have me totally trained and boss me around like there is no tomorrow. Gotta go to the store and pick up more mid-winter nip.

• sandra60102
    15 years ago

I am Sandra Lynne, 65 and retired. I share a home with a 13 year old lab/newfy mix and my husband of 35 years. Our two boys have been long gone from the nest. I have planted gardens then moved and sadly left them 9 times and this time I hope to be here long enough to see the fruits of my labor. I did not downsize on this move and have lots of inside space for projects (even if I do have to take over my husband's space) and two hard as a rock/dirt acres surrounded by woods in central/north Wisconsin that gets dappling sun. I am getting to be a physical wreck from the digging, moving and transplanting over the years and am learning to accept the plop and grow approach over the well manicured beds.

This is my first time at the site and first time WS with milk jugs. I love the seed give aways and hope to get enough seeds, hence plants, to "pay it forward" next year. It was nice to learn about this site and all the new friends.

It got warm today and one of our 24 inches of crusty snow melted. We were able to x-country ski in the sun and think about spring.

• rbrady
    15 years ago

Hello everyone! My name is Rhonda and this will be my 2nd year wintersowing. I am 41 and have 4 children (20,12,10,and 9)3 boys and 1 girl, a cat, and have been with my husband for almost 22 years (EEK, seems longer lol). To support my gardening habit (and my kids)I am a dairy mgr for a local retailer (can anyone say milk jugs?).

For years I had to garden in a few containers because we always lived in apartments, but then we bought a house with a yard and now I am in Heaven. I just wish I had more space!

My preferred container is the milk jug, but I will use 2 liter bottles if necessary. I love native plants especially those that support wildlife (and that means bugs, too!), but do plant other types of flowers as I learn about them. I also plan on trying a few vegetables this year, nothing fancy, just the basics to see if I like it.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and learning a little abut everyone.

Rhonda

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Hmm not only am I a newbie I am apparently a youngster too. I will turn 29 at the end of the month. I have been blissfully married for five years now. I have two step kids a son who just turned 9 and a daughter who is 10. I also have a toddler who just turned two. I see my step kids every weekend and during the week in the summer. My toddler sticks to me like glue. He is a blast. I can't wait to see what he thinks of all the planting out this spring. I already know the older two think I'm crazy :)
    I started gardening when we got a yard/house three years no four years ago. I started with the freebies from my mom and sister in law and divided the things that came with the house. I always grow a few annuals from seed. I have been trying to get tomatoes to grow in my wet shade all this time too. After my son was born I became a stay at home mom and gardening has become a passion for me. I love learning everything I can about it. I think I missed college and picked gardening since I will never run out of things to learn. I read about garden web in a book I liked, and joined the forum last summer. Now I have about 120 containers outside and am going to put in a SFG for my veg. Only 250 or so varieties to go.
    Oh I have a dog and cat as well, they more personality than is good for them. As a step mom, mother of a toddler and lots else, gardening is my therapy.
    I also love taking pics of everything I grow. Everything else too, especially the kids and animals.
    I might look into the master gardener program one of these days and am hoping to work at a nursery someday when the kids are older.

I never knew about the conversation bit here. Thanks Nancy. It is nice to put a "face" with all the names.

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

Hi..my name is Wendy, and I'm 57, with three daughters, 36, 31,and 31. I was blessed with identical twins back in the old days before in vitro and all that stuff that's going on nowadays. I have 3 grandchildren, and with every new babe I say to my girls...now could you imagine having two at the same time?
    You should see their reaction.
    I first heard about wintersowing through an article in the Toronto Star. It was March, 2005, and I thought HOW COOL IS THIS?
    I have an amazing hubby who has his own business, and has convinced me that I don't need to work away from home anymore. Yeah! So my little cockapoo and I have the run of the garden. I am constantly amazed by the changes, from a boring "yard" to a beautiful garden.
    A special shout out to Tiff (nicole) and Greylady (Lois) who've attempted and succeeded in getting the w/s word out to other Canucks.

Wendy

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Hi. My name is Maria and I'm currently an at-home mom (two years now). I have two daughters, ages 7 & 12, and my 15 yr wedding anniversary is this year.
    My mom had a green thumb, but I am historically not so good at gardening, and I really admire the plants in my flower beds for toughing it out! But hope springs eternal -- and this year I want to grow veggies & blueberries.

• eileenlynch
    15 years ago

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I am blessed with a wonderful husband who supports my gardening addiction, which includes purchasing five wooded acres behind our house when I ran out of room for more gardens (I have 32 fairly large ones to date)... my friends and family think I have a "garden issue", but all of you understand;-).

I am 41 and have two beautiful sons, ages four and one and a half. My husband already has them addicted to sports, and I've had no luck getting either interested in shovels or the yard. I'd love to try for one more little one, but DH thinks we're getting past that age;-).

I work part-time teaching law and have a lazy pug who naps in the garden when I work. She likes to find the biggest hosta leaves, crawl under them for shade, and snooze for up to an hour at a time.

Most of the new land is very heavily wooded and I'm not sure how the gardening will go in it. I'd dreamed of a big open field with lots of sunlight for veggies and annuals, but this is full of old oaks and too much honeysuckle and buckthorn. I need to work with the idea of "bloom where you're planted".

Sometimes find myself California dreamin' in these long, cold Wisconsin winters....and the winter sowing forum is a big help!

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

eileenlynch: your post brought back some fond memories. Years ago, when my two kids (boy and a girl) were little, we lived in a small row house in Philly with a front yard about 12x25 feet. I planted all kinds of shrubs and flowers in there (the neighbors thought I was nuts), but I loved to garden. I would take the kids out front and play a game with them: "Who can pick out...?" The object was to ID the azaleas, the dahlias, the ivy, etc. They got a great kick out of it, and I would proudly tell mom who the winner was each night.

These days the kids are grown, of course, but they still remember the game and are pretty good at IDing the plants in my new garden. When they're here together they still get competitive: "That's hosta. No, it's not. Yes, it is. DAD!!!!"

• sunny631
    15 years ago

I'll go next.

It is great reading about all the different people. Great stories everyone. I have enjoyed reading all these posts and decided it's my turn.

My name is Daniele. I am 34, married 15 years to the most wonderful man in the world and the sometimes proud parent of a troubled teen. He has had some up's and downs and the last year was rough. He is such a good well behaved kid at home but the minute he sees his friends all hell breaks loose. I guess most teenagers are like that. I know I was. But not to his extent.

Anyway, I live in Va Bch about 20 minutes from the ocean. And I love it here. I grew up in the mountains about 4 hours west of D.C and love the fact that I may never see snow again. I live in a small townhouse with a small yard which I intend to fill with every kind of flower I can. Also, lookin at the alley 'round the corner and gonna try to dress that up some too. I am a first time winter sower and can hardly wait for my garden to turn green again. Till then I am scouring seed racks for neat looking stuff and getting involved in trades. Just started gardening about 2 years ago so I still have alot to learn, but I am loving every minute of it.

Thanks to all the nice people here that make this forum a joy to look at everyday.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Sunny, I know how to post bond. Both my boys are no strangers to the back of a police car (just stupidity and nothing serious), but I am happy to report that, in the end, they grow up and are fine, upstanding citizens and good students. Some teens just need to go through that.

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Nancy what a good idea for a thread!

Greetings everyone my name is Annette. I am now single and really enjoying it. I am 43 and really enjoying that too. I have 3 kids 21, 20 & 17 boy-girl-boy kinda enjoy them lol. I have 1 granddaughter Leah (3)gift from my oldest son.REALLY REALLY ENJOY her. She is one of the best things to ever happen to me (wish I had known that when he told me about the pregnancy). She is w/ us every weekend.

We all moved back home to my mothers 2&1/2 years ago. At that time we had an extra the "rent a brother" he's moved on now. Ya my Moms awesome!

We live on the south shore of MA. Twenty minutes south of Boston & twenty north of Plymouth. My mother & I have always gardened together.I definitely inherited my love of gardening from her.

We live on just under 2 acres w/ lots of different beds. I turned the veg. garden into a bf & hummer garden 2 years ago. We have great plans for a few more inc. new veg. garden. Mom has always wanted a water feature hopefully we can get it together this year. Can't wait to see my 2cd year ws plants blooming this year.
    Funny about boys & cops my dd has never been in trouble.Knocking on wood!!
    Sorry to keep going on Who is gonna be next?

Annette

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

I'll be next. I am very new to garden web, as well as winter sowing. Have to say I am loving every minute of it. I am 37 years old. I've been married to my best friend for 17 1/2 years. We have 3 great kids. A girl (16 1/2), boy (15) and our baby (12). They all actually like gardening with me and can ID most all of my plants, both inside and out. My grandparents gardened, my parents gardened, and we garden. I will be the first to admit an am addicted to gardening, and everything to do with it. My kids tell me I should start a support group for junkies like myself, LoL.
    Finding WS has opened up an entirely new world for me (which is good, because my indoor space has run out). I have a jungle for a living space. I really need to cut back on houseplants as I have ran out of windows.
    My indoor addictions are African Violets and succulents, and my out door addictions are hostas, succulents (I love, love, love hens and chicks), daylilies (all lilies actually), and flowering vines. I could go on and on here, but I realize that others would like space to type as well, LoL.
    I love to grow veggies, and sell at farmers markets ever season. My fav's are toms, peppers and garlic. I love frying up squash blooms though, so I guess squash would be one of my fav's as well :-)
    I am a music teacher part time. Music, gardening and cooking/baking are my passions(after my family).
    We have 4 dogs. I call them my fur babies. We also have 2 cats and a feather baby (cock-a-tiel)He has a mouth on him, LoL. He is my alarm clock every morning.

I do alot of cooking and baking during the winter months. I'm a pretty fantastic chef if I do say so myself, LoL.
    I love to grow my own herbs and veggies, then can and freeze my harvests come fall.

I have a small water garden and lots of frogs and toads claim it home in the warmer months.

I've really enjoyed reading about everyone. I look forward to getting to know you all. Thanks for all the help!

OK, I'm sure I've already said more than enough, so, who's next?

Carrie *dreaming of spring and new ws sprouts!*

• morguegirl
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    My name is Amy. I am 39 years old, married for 7 years, no kids(not yet ruling it out), I live in Queens, NY. My husband Rick and I have three adorable kitties, Hobie, Sydney, and Jackie.
    I have lived in New York City or it's surrounding Suburbs all of my life, except for when I went to college in Albany, NY. I have been a Physician Assistant for nearly 15 years and have worked at the NYC Medical Examiner's office for nearly 11 years. I am a Medicolegal Investigator, which is a fancy way of saying a death investigator. It is a very interesting profession, but can be difficult at times. I was involved in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks and that was a very hard time in my life.

I am new to gardening, only the last few years. I got involved after I began staying with my dad in Long Island for his health problems. Dad is 80 and now in a nearby assisted living program, but I am hooked!. Not only do I plan on gardening on my large balcony, I do my sister's garden and the gardens at work as well(large areas, no money in the city budget for plants). I love animals, plants and nature, as well as photography and movies, anything creative interests me.

nice to get to know everyone.

Amy

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Sheesh! Am I the only guy who WS's? What's up with that? I know there are guys on the Gardening Under Lights forum--maybe it's the science of growing inside?

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

There are a lot of guys who WS, but I think we menopausal wimmen drive them off. I've been trying to organize a men's nude WS calendar for years - heavy oompetition on the mid-summer root vegetable picture.

I think many men lurk.

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

bakemom: Well, according to my urologist, I'm in andropause, so I guess I'm in the right place! As for the calendar--be forewarned: my biggest carrot was a double! ;-)

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Holy crap! Would that be July? What about the zucchini contenders? What happens when we move into gourd/pumpkin season?

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

the nude calender -lmao- reminded me of the thread you guys had going last winter "show pics of your jugs" I think.. people were dressing up there their jugs did that randomly disappear?

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Very funny, although it seems we could do a lewd one with veg. alone. No men necessary from what I've seen on the forum lately. No offense Professor.

• tansy_mi_zn5
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone...my name is Traci, I am 38 yrs old, I will be 39 on the 17th.;-( I have been married for 20 years,...but have been with my husband for 23 years. 2 beautiful daughters & a granddaughter (she was born in March) & I absolutely LOVE being a grandma!! I have a shihTzu, Allie who has replaced my "empty nest" syndrome.

I work in a greenhouse. We grow bedding flats for whole sale & I also work in the retail part of the greenhouse. I thought working in a grenhouse was the perfect job for me since I love flowers & gardening...I did not realize how hard it actually is. And I have been a Garden Web member since 2003...wow!! doesn't seem that long. I wintersowed 2003 & 2004...but burned out in 2005 when I started at the Greenhouse. Thank God for my husband...who keeps my flowers & garden in tip top shape in the summer. Yes...after I get home from work where I water ALOT during the day I can't quite bring myself to water my own when I get home.

I don't post nearly as much as I used to...mostly lurking, but I am still here.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Well I guess I will go next.
    My name is Bonnie an I'm 46. Divorced for many years. I have 5 children. 4 of them are married and have children. One son who is still enjoying the single life as he puts it. Men. I have a total of 5 grandchildren now. I enjoy them so much. But secretly it is nice to just be alone with one's thoughts and all the many things I want to accomplish in my gardens.
    I run a daycare from my home. So children are a large part of my every day life. I have been trying to teach each new group that comes through here a few small things about gardening. As well as composting. I think they enjoy the composting more than any thing.
    Last year was my first go at winter sowing. I have been gardening as long as I can remember. No matter how small I had to have something growing. Inside as well as out. I have not had a vegetable garden in quite a few years. So this year I am going to see just what I can get away with : )
    That was my new years resolution this year. Grow and put up as much of my own food as I can.
    My favorite flowers to discover and try to grow in my zone is tropical as well as those that even resemble tropical.
    I have enjoyed reading an learning so much from all of you. Thanks' to all who I did a few SABE's w/last fall. I will have a few new things to add to my gardens. This is great to be able to put a little info w/the person you are talking with.
    May all your gardening dreams come true.
    Bonnie

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

I've really enjoyed this post! Antome else?

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

There is a gardening group that I thought was in Texas that does a nude (but tasteful) men's calendar every year as a fund raiser. It's like the movie Calendar Girls, but is men with plants. They are not models (ha), but it's darn amusing and fun. The fund raiser I thought was a garden club. I tried a loose search and couldn't find it. Anyone?

• token28001
    15 years ago

I haven't been over here lately and I need to go back and read the thread, but here goes.

I'm nearly 36 (feb28). Male. And single. I've got a degree in architecture and own a 1946 "cottage" in central-ish NC. Gardening is my passionate hobby. I build architectural models for money so gardening lets me cut loose a bit. I've got 30 tomato plants in the basement too.

I've spent the past 2 years digesting anything I can on propagation, seeds, and gardens in general. I'm reclaiming a lot of old beds here at the cottage using the lasagna bed method.

My hobbies include gardening, digging, and mulching. I also like to read. I really don't know many people here and my family lives about 70 miles from me. My best friend lives in Roanoke, VA. So I spend a lot of time alone and too much online.

If this calender thing takes off...nevermind. Gonna just keep that to myself.

Stop by if you care to visit.

Seventh Street Cottage

• PVick
    15 years ago

bakemom - there was a group of male gardeners in Connecticut who did a nude (with strategically placed gardening items) calendar a couple of years ago. I can find reference to it on the web (Wethersfield, CT), but alas, no pics ....

token - you could be Mr. February, and pose with a groundhog ....

PV

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Hi all. This is such a fun thread! I am Nikki, mother of two. I am new to wintersowing this year but have gone completely nuts. I've already planted right at 200 containers of perennials and have about 175 annuals to go. I've always loved gardening but about a year and a half ago, we built a pool. We took the entire backyard down to the dirt and started all over. The whole process has been wonderful but lots of work. My love of gardening has been renewed, I found gardenweb and the rest is history. I have many favorite forums on gw including round robin exchange forum, cottage garden forum, seed exchange, georgia gardeners forum, gardening in the carolinas and of course Wintersowing. DH complains that I am obsessed with gardening but I think he really enjoys the fruits of my labor. I have enjoyed learning from you all this year and can't wait to see our gardens grow this summer. I can't wait to see and share pics! Nikki

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

First I want to say "Hi" to people I've chatted with, traded with, and poked fun at!!
    My name is Brandy-like the drink and I'm 41. I've been married for 20 yrs(mostly good), I have 3 sons 18,13,and 6(also mostly good). Three dogs(not so good grrrr)and two cats(neutral) I work part-time for a major airline and use gardening as therapy!
    I live in a tourist town, in northern Michigan and can't wait til the last kid is out of the house so I can get the heck out of here and go somewhere where it never snows!
    My garden is for the butterflies and creepy crawly things it's a no spray no kill(except for Japanese beetles!)garden. My "yarden" is pretty small and dominated by two gnarly,ugly, half dead apple trees of unknown parentage that bloom profusely every other year. I would like to qualify as a monarch way station someday.(I would also like an underground sprinkler system!!LOL!!)
    My main crop this year seems to be voles :-(
    -B

• chickenseed
    15 years ago

Hi all i am Lori and I live in Montana.I am 53. I am a newbie so am surfing all over to read and learn. I have 6 children. Four are mine ages 11,22,27,29 and 2 step children ages 26,29. I was married 23 years single 5 and now very happily married to Don for 3 years. I love spending time quilting during the winter and caring for my chickens ,garden and yard in good weather. Still trudge to the coop in the winter but my girls don't want to come out when it's snowing. IM putting some things out this winter and pretending that I know how to winter sown. Well see ! I am a medical office manager.

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Mary Lee here in NJ. Been winter sowing for about 5 years now. Retired and taking care of horses, chickens, turkeys, ducks and geese. It been a challenge to keep those dear ones out of my flower beds and veggie patch. I sow and mostly grow tomatoes. I love Cosmos, poppies and holly hocks as flowers go with a variety of iris and daylillies.

Right now it is peep time and getting more eggs to hatch is been a real joy. This month working on duck and turkey eggs. Next month hope it is phesants.

The wave of green rides north.

ML

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Hey ya'll! I'm Diana, a 36 year old true Georgia Peach! I live in Atlanta with my fiance. We've been together for eight years and engaged for two. We live about 6 miles from downtown Atlanta on just over half an acre with our two dogs and one cat. I had three cats, but two of them died of cancer over the past two years.

I work in the legal department for a natural gas company. I've worked in the energy industry for about 8 years now and really enjoy it. I also do a lot of volunteer work - American Heart Association, American Red Cross, United Way, Habitat for Humanity (got to meet Jimmy Carter recently, that was very cool, I love his commitment to the community!), Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Meals on Wheels and I volunteer at a local elementary school. Luckily I have time for it because the company I work for really encourages it and will let me do some of it during work hours.

My passion for gardening has always been there, but last year was the first time I was really able to garden lot. Having rented so much in the past, I didn't want to put a lot of effort into someone else's property. I now have several hundred plants in my yard and have finally tried my hand at winter sowing. I've sown 520 plants and like it so much that I want to keep going! I also raised my first monarch cat this year, which was such a truly rewarding experience. He was named Maximus and it was exciting and heart breaking to see him fly of into the sunset the day of his release. I can't wait to see more this year! I also had swallowtail cats last year on my bronze fennel and I found a praying mantis egg sack that I've been watching over. I've named my house ladybug manor because they really are everywhere!

It's nice to "meet" you all!
    Diana