Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My forsythia are blooming...

Posted by clumsygrdner 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 23, 09 at 12:40

Indoors!

Since a lot of us Wintersow to help satisfy our spring fever, I'll share a way to help further dispel the doldrums: Forcing branches!

Unlike bulb forcing, forcing the branches of flowering trees and shrubs is relatively quick and easy.

1) On a day that's above freezing, find your favorite spring flowering shrub and pluck off some branches. Be sure to cut them at a 45 degree angle. Pick ones that are full of flower buds, which are fatter than leaf buds. Find some that are at least a foot and a half long (You can cut them shorter if need be. I like them tall.) Pick a dozen or more because fewer than that tends to make a puny display.

2) Bring them home and submerge them completely warm (100 degrees) water for about 12-24 hours. I cut mine in the morning and let them soak overnight in the bathtub.

3) Cut the ends with your pruners and place them in a large vase or bucket. Cover them with a plastic garbage bag to keep up the humidity. Place them in a cool (65 degrees max) area away from direct sun until the buds begin to fatten and break. Then, cut them again, arrange them as desired. Make sure that there are no submerged twigs.

4) Every other day, cut the branches a little to keep the water flowing into them. Add some bleach and lemon-lime soda to keep bacteria away or some floral preservative. The display last 10 to 14 days!

If you cut them every two weeks until spring, you'll never lack flowers! Plus, if you make pruning cuts you can also improve the structure of the tree as a bonus.

Forsythia are the easiest to force so try them first if you need encouragement. Here are a list of other shrubs and trees to try.

Apple
Apricot
Azalea
Cherry
Dogwood
Hawthorn
Honeysuckle
Lilac
Magnolia (Tulip Tree)
Peach
Pussy willow
Quince
Redbud
Service Berry
Spiraea
Wisteria

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My forsythia are blooming...

Another easy one is Sand Cherry. I always cut a few twigs and bring them in.
Photobucket
close up shot
Photobucket

o

Oh how pretty! I think I might try crab apple next.

The ice storm felled a lot of bradford pears as usual, and I've been capitalizing on the loss. I've never forced those before mostly because I fear the smell. But I decided to try them out just cause they were lying around. They take the longest to force I've found. It takes about 10 days for the buds to swell, but I cut them just in time as my forsythia blossoms are fading.

o

I have apple, lilac and pussy willows that I force inside. Have also used them in my early spring pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here