Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Why say 'someone got Disneyed'?

pitimpinai
18 years ago

What is the origin of this expression? I noticed it several times since last winter. When someone was banned from the GW, people said that person was Disneyed. What exactly does it mean?

And why did a certain group of exiles call themselves "the froupe"? What in the world does that mean?

Comments (7)

• shimla
    18 years ago

When people got banned from GW for being naughty they were redirected to a Disney website whenever they tried to submit a message LOL! Most eventually found their way back in by simply resetting their IP addresses. They would just have to sign up under a different GW name.

I don't know about the froupe, I haven't seen that one yet.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ha! Thanks, shimla. I am glad I did not have to find that out first hand. Long timers on the GW are suspecious of newcomers, though. It appears that on the Seeds Exchange, a cheater was spotted right off and his/her postings for exchange were driven off. That left a lot of newcomers in quite a quandary in more ways than one.

Maybe Trudi would tell me what "the froupe" is.

• lblack61
    18 years ago

I think GW (and the WS forum specifically) are experiencing some growing pains.
    I know it used to annoy me when Spike would send a message to my email that my post was off-topic and being moved to another area, but now I kind of miss that. At least it set me straight and kept the forum relatively uniform.

I just hope everyone can let things roll off their shoulders and continue to be pleasant, helpful, and supportive. I intend to be as much as possible-- while I try to be my own "Spike", lol.

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

I have only been "Disneyed" once... I posted a few warnings about PayPal "phishing" a couple years ago, got temporarily banned for spamming. It got straightened out though =)

GW

• shimla
    18 years ago

I always hated those friendly reminders! I was planning a plant exchange over in the Upstate NY forum a couple of years ago. I wasn't sure whether I should use the discussion side (since the thread was going to be about food, location, date *not actually talking about exchanging plants at that time*) or put it on the exchange side. So, I posted a question on the discussion side asking where to put the thread. The board was extremely slow so it wasn't like my question clogged up the board at all. Someone over there reported it and I got a friendly reminder email. This was well after someone posted a reply to use the exchange side and i put the info on the appropriate board! I thought it was total nonsense to report my question. I didn't get Disneyed but always wondered if you got a certain number of strikes against you that you'd be sent off to MickeyLand.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I read that Disney put a stop to members being sent to their site for being bad since people were associating Disney to a negative thing. They probably got a lot of PO'd emails from people that didn't understand what was happening.

I remember seeing a whole group of people coming back in after being banned. You could usually figure out who they were by the messages they typed. There was non-stop arguements in the convo pit at the seed exchange forum. It was down right nasty at times. It's nice to see people get along now.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"It was down right nasty at times. It's nice to see people get along now."

shimla, you must have missed the threads over there these past couple weeks - both on the exchange and convo pit. It was very heated to put it mildly. :-)

• lblack61
    18 years ago

And I thought a mild winter would make people nicer. From the sounds of how things have been on GW, we need a real huge Nor'Easter that spreads all the way over to California...lol

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County