Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Actually about gardening

Posted by indianaplantlover 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 7:35

Yesterday my neighbor dug up several lirope from his yard and tossed it to the sidewalk to be thrown out with the weed he was digging along his sidewalk. I ask about it and he said he didn't want them for this year. I rescued them but now what do I do with them until spring? For now I put them in a large pot on my covered but not enclosed front porch and put soil on them up to the green. Can I save them or will the shock of being dug up ( it was about 55 degrees yesterday) kill them. Any help guys? Thanks, Vicci

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Actually about gardening

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 8:08

Liriope is a pretty hardy critter. If your ground isn't frozen, you could probably plant them out right now. If it is frozen, pot them up in some potting mix.

o

Ditto what Donn says...they will be fine...

What kind are they? The solid green, or the variegated?

o

Look like solid green to me. They look sheared off at the top like they were run over with a dull lawnmower. So far they havn't wilted. Thank for the help guys. Vicci

o

I used to run mine over with a lawn mower each spring to get new growth and more blooms. It worked.

o

I agree Liriope is pretty tuff to kill. mine mulitplies so fast i will never run out of new ones. I also cut mine down in the spring.

Carey

o

Mine is certainly tuff; it's over 20 years old, has been divided and moved. As long as it didn't dry out it will be fine

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here