Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

A plea to NYC Residents

pitimpinai
17 years ago

Please give me suggestions on how to get a studio or one bedroom apartment in Manhattan, please.....

My son will be in Manhattan from June through mid August for internship. He plans to take a studio with his girlfriend instead of staying in a college dorm as the company suggested. Teenagers.....sigh.

I have no idea how to go about doing this..... My biggest concern is their safety. I do not know NYC at all. :-(

Your help will ease my mind........and be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• webkat5
    17 years ago

Check into areas such as Astoria or other...

I don't live there, but have been there and have heard the rent is astronomical anywhere in the city.

• jellobiafra
    17 years ago

Safety won't be much of an issue -- New York is safer than it has been in decades. And it's full of college students and recent grads who have journeyed here to procure the job they dream of. However, it is not easy to find something, especially when the budget is tight, so he should get here as early as possible. If money is tight, then he will most likely find himself in one of the outer boroughs, which is fine because mass transit will get him wherever he needs to go. He'll find many people his age, so don't worry: He'll fit right in.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you very much, webkat & jellobiafra.
    Js plans to get there the last week of May, I hope. Or I'll talk him into it. :-) He is determined to live in Manhattan. The company gives him a rather generous living allowance for a kid....he'll just have to be a bit careful with the budget.

Thanks again.

• PVick
    17 years ago

Safety should not be much of an issue - as I would imagine it is anywhere, you simply need to be aware of where you are and the circumstances you might find yourself in. Doing an internship, he'll probably meet lots of new people. There is safety in numbers.

Finding a place to live, tight budget or not, will not be easy. Particularly if you're talking a short-term residence. Manhattan these days is for the rich, and the outer boroughs are rapidly catching up. We're talking studio apartments in the $1000 + monthly range - emphasis on the +.

I haven't been apartment hunting in eons, so have no references to offer. But a hunt on the internet might provide some leads. Perhaps the company he is coming to can provide some referrals to reputable rental agencies. Or the college(s) might prove helpful.

Sorry I can't be of more help. NYC is truly not the hellhole that is portrayed on the nightly news. Your son should be safe enough; finding him somewhere to live will be the greater worry.

PV

• Jane_the_Renovator
    17 years ago

Hi Mone,

If you email me directly, I can definitely help you out. I moved 4 times during my first 18 months in NY and boy do I know those ropes (the burns have faded, thank goodness!). A good place to get started is www.newyork.craigslist.org--that'll give you an idea of what rents are like in the various neighborhoods.

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist New York

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you much, everyone. I'll follow your suggestions and see what happens. :-)
    Thanks.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoooey.....my kid just about bankrupted us. Hubby is very unhappy with me right now. Told son we would have a good talk when he comes back home after this internship.

He got himself a studio in downtown Manhattan -----told him he is living WAY beyond his means.......Hubby is extremely unhappy with me for indulging the apple of my eyes. I have been shopping for a new car and planned to go get it after hubby gets back from NYC......I am kissing it goodbye now it looks like.............

• PVick
    16 years ago

Manhattan will do that to you - bankruptcy, I mean! LOL! Good that he found a place; there is plenty to see and do in NYC, especially at this time of year. By the time the "dog days" of August set in, he'll be home.

His internship is just starting, right? Give him some time, he'll adjust to Manhattan extravagance and find ways to save (you) money. Believe me, it doesn't take long. I remember my first days in NYC - eons ago - and I learned fast!

Good luck to him! And I hope your hubby relents on the car ...

PV

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, PV. I was in a blue funk and heartsick all weekend. That's not a way to teach a kid about financial responsibilty....sigh...my fault totally....been giving him just about everything he wants....

This is way too much for a 17 year old turning 18 tomorrow. sigh.....My consolation is or actually I am trying to console myself that he's been extremely good at school.....so far.....Told him he had better not do anything to give us more worries.....

I am going to check out this luxurious rental & take more advantage of it while he's there too.....& I'll get to visit NYC at the same time......

Yup, August is a good time...will be hot as Hades, but.....for "free" lodging in downtown Manhattan, why not, right? Sigh.....

Thanks for letting me ramble......rant it the better word. LOL...

Hubby may let me buy the car after paying for the kid's tuition in August. Keeping my fingers crossed....

• diane_nny
    16 years ago

So whatever happened? Hope it all worked out ok.

• pitimpinai
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Diane, :-)
    Things worked out fine. The kid got himself a standing offer to go work for the company in NYC. He's definitely going back there next summer. He's bitten by the NYC charms.

We chalked up that apartment on Battery Park as his education expenses. Anyway, his company forked over about half, so it was not too bad.......Well, really, it was generous for parents of our financial status, oh, well.. What can we do with our one and only kid, huh?

Anyway, I was there for 8 days. What better accommodations would I be able to get if I were to take a trip to Manhattan? Love the museums, but won't go back by choice, that's certain.

I got my new car. :-) Would like to post a pic to show it off, but my computer went caput and the pictures are in that computer. :-)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington