Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richdelmo

Anyone try the Aero hydrophonic garden system

richdelmo
15 years ago

First time using this system and planted these cherry tomatoes a bit before Christmas. As you can see the foliage has really popped, and I have had a few flowers but no fruit yet. Just wondering if anyone else has tried Aero or other hydroponic method or growing. So far it's really cool but time will tell on how successful it will be. Hope to be eating home grown cherry maters well before my first winter sown even sprout.

{{gwi:332443}}

Comments (11)

• PVick
    15 years ago

Those look good! I've thought about biting the bullet and trying an Aero, but I've got a plant-eating cat on my hands. Don't think anything I tried would get past the true leaf stage with her ...

PV

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PV we have four cats so far no problems eating my plants. The furniture doesn't look so good though, LOL.

• lblack61
    15 years ago

Wow...ok...this just might convince me to get one of those. I thought about getting one but had misgivings:
    1. that it wouldn't grow like they promised
    2. that you have to use their little seed pod thingies and couldn't use regular seeds.

What do you think about my second concern, Rich? Does there seem to be enough variety of seeds to fit your needs? Is the cost of seeds reasonable? (and is there a way to DIY it?)
    --me...always a little too ready to break the rules.
    Linda

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda, last I saw they had over 20 different seed types, maters peppers herbs flowers peas lettuce beans etc. Since you only grow a few plants at a time and they last a long time (maters supposed to grow for 7 months) I personally won't need many. For example I received lettuce seed pods for xmas and unless I buy another system, I won't be planting them until the maters are done, probably late summer. People with multiple systems would be more concerned with the variety.
    One down side is you can't grow maters with lettuce or herbs as they are heavy feeders and the other plants will suffer. I know I tried an herb in the far left slot (you can hardly see it in the pic) and it's severely stunted. As for costs this is not inexpensive but not outrageous either, maters were about $20.00 and included nutrients.

This may be a one or two time novelty or more hopefully have a way to enjoy fresh veggies during the winter months.

Hope this helped.

• suecirish
    15 years ago

I bought my husband one of these for Valentine's Day last year. We set it up and "planted" Cherry tomatoes from their kit the first week of March. It was fascinating to watch the plants (and the roots) grow. It took a while, but we got pickable tomatoes in about 3 months and they went on for about another 6-8 weeks. After they were done, we decided to experiment and planted the plants outside in my herb garden. One died, but the other two established and produced a bit more fruit. It was really amazing. But because it is a long process and you can only do one type of crop at a time, we still consider it a novelty. This photo was taken June 19, 2008.

{{gwi:332445}}

• lblack61
    15 years ago

RM,
    That did help, thanks :-)

Linda

• barefoot_contessa
    15 years ago

Look at the healthy stalks on those babies!

I have been wondering about this, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Carrie

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

PVick, you might want to grow some Oat Grass for those kitties! Mine love it, it help their tummies with the fur balls and digestion. If they get a taste of Oat Grass, and you keep it available for them, they won't want your houseplants anymore. Oat grass is so easy to grow too, it will grow anywhere, even in shade, and it grows very quickly too. Just a few days.

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

I saw one of these in a hydroponics store. They were growing petunias, gorgeous healthy blooming plants. Sigh, I think an annual flower would be my choice.

Pvick, I have some cat grass seed if you want it. Email me.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    15 years ago

I love mine, although I have never used it with a kit. I found a compact seedling tray that has 49 cells per tray, so I can grow almost 100 seedlings on my aerogarden platform.

I grew alpine strawberries in mine last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:332441}}

• PVick
    15 years ago

I've grown oat grass and some other kind (I forget what) for this cat. She smells it, rolls around in it, then goes off and chomps on the asparagus fern and the oxalis. Go figure.

But thanks for the offers!

PV

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz