Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

sympathy needed

I got a cold.

not that terrible I realize.\

I was planning to bring a big salad to a friend in the hospital who said the food was awful and she sure would like some healthy food.

So yesterday I bought all the fixings. Today I don't feel like making salad, nor do I think I should go to a hospital where people's immune systems are comprised. (altho hospital patients are xposed to realy serious things like mrsa.)

Nor do I feel like WS'ing, tho I have many jugs, and soil and seeds and am really anxious to, but don't feel like doing anything.

plus it's gray and it snowed.

oh poor me. :)

ok thanks, I needed to vent to someone(s).

ellenr

Comments (17)

• ajpa
    15 years ago

(((hugs)))
    Here's what I drink when I have a bad cold: a bag of ginger-lemon tea with a bag of regular tea. Don't soak it too long, it can be very strong. But I swear it helps.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks.
    I am drinking ginger tea. I don't have lemon, but luckily I rrecently made a quart of yogi tea - ginger, cardaman, pepper corns, cinnamon and cloves.
    really delicious.
    I've been taking echniacea which usually works for me, but I didn't start it early enough, and I fear I'm stuck with this cold until it finishes itself. :(

take care,
    ellen

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

There is some bad crud going around. My son has been in bed since Saturday morning and my daughter was on her back for three days. I'm on day 5 missing work and I feel terrible about that.

doc says these things just need to run their courses. I just do little things around the house that don't wear me down and take care of my kids (17, 19 and 23).

Original Author
    15 years ago

I live alone, so I really appreciate my cat when I'm stuck in the house, but damn...

she won't go out and get me some ice cream, which is what I really require when I have cold!

after all I do for her...

• albertar
    15 years ago

Hope you feel better Ellen, when I get a cold I'm a big baby, all I want is sleep, tea and chicken noodle soup, and chug a lug lots of that foul tasting nyquil. I normally have a very low body temp, only 97 degrees so anything over 98.6 and I have a fever, yuk. Again, take care of yourself, don't sweat winter sowing, theres plenty of time for that, drink lots of liquids and stay in bed if possible.

Alberta

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Hope you feel better soon! Don't get dressed,keep clicker and ginger ale close by & just lay around. Grey days are awesome for that!

Bakemom I laugh every time I see one of you type "the crud" to me that's a nasty skin condition or someone who never bathes. lol

Annette

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Ahhh!!!!!! Now I've caught a bug. Running a temp and feeling all achey.
    *goes to make ginger tea*

Original Author
    15 years ago

oh, no ajpa, did you catch it from me? :)

I can only do nothing for so long-
    So I made a big wonderful salad for my friend in hospital. I hope tomorrow I'm well enough to deliver it.

I cut and made holes in 6 containers but didn't do anything else.

anyway it's nice to have this place. I never would have come here if Nancy Drew hadn't posted.
    When I feel more energetic I'll go to the intro page and tell you about myself.

right now all I can manage is tv,
    take care ajpa.
    and everyone.
    see ya later,
    ellen

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

Awe (((Ellen))) I'm sorry to hear ya got "the crud"

Feel better soon!

And do go to the intro thread soon too!!

ajpa... stay away from Ellen! She's a lovely person you understand... but she doesn't look so good right now... you don't want what she has!!

Good grief Bakemom! Don't breath around those kids!!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    I'm feeling marginally better today. I have progressed from the nose running, big sneezes stage to the stuffed nose stage, which is preferable inmo. Next comes the coughing stage so I am going out today to the health food store to get cough medicine. Sometimes I get the coughing so bad I think I'm going to have to call an ambulance, cuz I'm not able to stop. so I'm not going to wait til it gets that bad.

How are you - ajpa and Bakemom??
    Recovering I hope.

ellen

• ajpa
    15 years ago

I drank a pycnogenol tablet last night (I keep it stocked for period cramps and thought, wth, can't hurt) and I feel a lot better today. It's my personal miracle pill.
    I already shoveled half the driveway.

Hope you feel better, bakemom & ellen!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I never heard of that. Can you tell me about it?
    Glad you feel better.
    I bought some Cold tea by Transitional Medicines and am about to enjoy a cup. I like this company very much. I have used their tea for Urinary Tract Infection and Liver.

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Pycnogenol is a powerful anti-oxidant (patented) made from the extract of pine trees that grow in the south of France. The manufacturer has sponsored studies on it and according to the studies it relieves many kinds of pain, including period cramps (which I suffer from badly) -- so I tried it and it really works for me. I was taking a lot of motrin for the pain during my periods and now I don't need to. So last night I thought, maybe it will help me for this bug I caught ... and maybe it did, who knows?
    I buy it from the health food store, I just get the cheapest kind I can find there.
    It's supposed to be similar to grape seed extract, which I haven't tried.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, interesting.
    I have heard the use of grape seed extract or is it grapefruit seed extract, I always get the two confused, as a very good antibiotic and antivirual. Also Oregano oil.
    I haven't tried either of those.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Alive and kicking here in Columbus. 23 year old son is on day 6 and is not feeling better. ARUGH. I want to blame some foregin country just to blame someone. I'm going to back to work tomorrow. What fresh hell there?

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

These posts are better than the health blogs on the NY Times!

Original Author
    15 years ago

much better, retired prof!
    That Jane Brody, the NYTimes' voice of wisdom is totally conventional in her approach.
    Hey, it's an individual choice, but people need to know about other things that work which are not produced to great profit by the pharmaceutical companies.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting