Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I know this is off topic, so I will keep this short

• Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 13:33

I am clueless to what this is about.

o

I need a forum about coexistance of pets and wildlife.

frecklesb

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 14:24

What kind of dog and what kind of hawk?

o

and to have a hawk you have to have a falconer's license.

o

Kind of dog: One that chases Hawks. (Aka "The Maniac")
Kind of Hawk: One that unwisely eats doves in our yard. (In our area, probably a red tailed hawk)

I really am trying to keep this short. Our dog bolted out the door when I saw a hawk in our yard for the first time. He almost got the hawk. I am looking for a clue as to how to manage to keep both alive and unharmed.

o

Well the harsh part of me immediately thinks "food chain". I mean if the hawk wants the doves then he needs to accept the risk that he might get swallowed by a maniac. The only thing I can think is to maybe put a bell on the door. It might at least give the hawk a head start. Depends on how fast your maniac is. We had one "bird" dog that routinely nabbed birds out of mid-air. She never caught anything as large as a hawk though (she would've been so proud of herself).

o
don't worry

Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 14:50

The only way the hawk will hurt the dog is if he catches it. The Red-tail only eats little bitty dogs, like Toy Fox Terriers and Chihuahuas. They prefer doves (as do I).

o

Seems to me the hawk might be up for a Darwin.

o

Well ... seeing as we digress ...

Trudi ... I found your mask over by the bar again.

o

• Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 15:25

Put a bell on the dog as dogs don't always bark. The hawk will learn that the bell is associated with the dog. As soon as it hears the bell it should become alert and fly off.

T--who has peregrines that hunt in the sky above her house, but they hunt catbirds and pidgies which are rockdoves.

o

Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 15:31

I watched an Osprey take a pigeon, out of the air, early one morning this summer. Most unusual, as those rats-with-wings are really good fliers.

o

• Posted by msjean Z6..NS...Canada (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 11:29

"Rats with wings" ...as you call them...are beautiful gentle creatures that mate for life and the male takes an equal part in raising their young.
Better than a lot of humans that I know.

o

That hawk wouldn't last long in my yard...I have a dog who is wonderful with cats, guards them with her life, but any wild animal in the yard is her dinner. She actually chased down and clipped a deer, dragged a wild turkey onto our front lawn and gnawed on it for as long as she could before we tossed it out.
No hawk would dare descend. (But it'd be nice if he'd get some of the voles!)

o

You might want to try the Wildlife forum where they discuss these issues all the time.

:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here