Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Snow to Water plants

Posted by lblack61 z5 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 23, 07 at 14:24

Okay, kinda a silly question, but I am asking it in earnest. I have a porchful of snow and I was wondering if there are any known advantages to using snow to water plants? Does snow have a chemical, natural purity that would make it advantagous? Can I use it for indoor seedlings (ie peppers) without boiling?
I have already taken chunks of it and set it in big pots of plants I have indoors over-wintering. Kinda nice in that it melts gradually and keeps me from overwatering (or winding up with puddles on the floor)
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Snow to Water plants

• Posted by nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 23, 07 at 18:50

The main advantage for me is that it is handy to toss a couple handfuls of snow in a container.

One other thing that makes it better is that it is not full of cloramine which is in abundance in my tap water. Cloramine does not particularly hurt my plants but I'm sure they enjoy a drink without it. I know I sure enjoy drinking water without it! :o)

o

I actually did something a couple weeks ago that I hadn't done since I was a kid. I ATE snow.
The dog was eating it while we were snowshoeing (to hydrate herself) and I looked at it and thought, "Boy, that does look good". And there I went. Grabbing fists full of snow and eating it...lol.
Gotta love it if I have to live in it!
Linda

o

The only problem with using it to "water" any plants that are indoors is that it won't do much but wet the surface (or first inch)...this won't do much for the plant...

I do dump it on my outdoor plants (in pots), though....works pretty well!

o

I use it now that we have it. Last year my WSd plants I had to do by hand since there wasn't a lot of snow. This year you betcha they are covered and 'watered' with it. When the snow is gone, then I'll have to resort to actually 'working' LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here