Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albertar

My dad passed away this morning

albertar
17 years ago

Just to let you all know that early this morning I lost my dad. He had been in a nursing home since June 06, suffering from alzheimers disease. He passed away in his sleep at 5am today.

Alberta

Comments (29)

• lblack61
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry, Alberta :-(
    I'll be praying for your family during this time of loss. My thoughts are with you ((hug)). You take care of yourself, okay?
    Linda

• wendeyzee
    17 years ago

Condolences Alberta, my heart goes out to you, and hugs too!!
    Wendey

• carrie630
    17 years ago

Prayers and condolences, to you Alberta and your family -
    and a special hug from...

Carrie

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry, Alberta!

Laurel

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

I am sorry, Alberta.
    My deepest sympathy.

• neonposey
    17 years ago

Alberta - I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Hang in there.....

• kqcrna
    17 years ago

I'm very sorry Alberta.

Karen

• Pamela Church
    17 years ago

My sympathy to you and your family. My mom has Alzheimers and it has been like losing her everyday. She's still at home, but I dread the time when we have to make the decision to place her in a care facility.

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, Alberta.

My own dear Mama went the same way a couple of years ago. She had been in the nursing home for about 10 years and hadn't recognized me for most of that time. It is such torture to lose a dear one this way. I do hope they will eventually find a way to spare our elders this dreadful thing!

• ronald
    17 years ago

Alberta
    I am truly sorry for you loss.
    He is now in a better place with his loved ones.
    You will be in my prayers.
    Ron

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

So sorry to hear about your dad!
    You and family are in my prayers,

Vera

• donn_
    17 years ago

May he rest in peace. He earned it by putting you here.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss...it's been many years since I lost my own dad and there are still days I miss him....but trust me when I say it does get easier.

Peace for his soul and also your heart! I'll keep you in my thoughts....

• Margaret6a
    17 years ago

Here is another hug coming to you. I am so sorry. Please accept my sympathies. Margaret

• littleonefb
    17 years ago

Alberta,
    You and your family are in my prayers.

Fran

• PVick
    17 years ago

My condolences go out to you and your family, Alberta. May your dad be in peace ...

PV

• dirt_yfingernails
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear of your loss. May he rest in peace.

• trudi_d
    17 years ago

I just read this, I'm very sorry to read this Alberta--how very sad. You have been a devoted daughter throughout this, your father was lucky to have your care.

T

• albertar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just a few lines to thank you all for your warm condolences. I really appreciate this, as its been a very emotional time for me. Since last May, when dad fell and was hospitalized, then put in short term rehab, then home for 2 weeks, then back to the nursing home for long term care it has been one hell of a roller coaster ride. My mom, almost 83 had been hospitalized 10 or 11 times since then, and is again hospitalized with a broken hip from a fall. She was not able to attend the funeral of her husband of almost 60 years and its killing her. Today she is going into short term rehab, but I believe it may become extended, as at this point she is being deemed incompetent. She is so confused and disoriented. The morning of the burial I found out that one of my younger brothers, (no kid mind you, 53 years old) is dealing and smoking crack in my mothers house. My agenda for this weekend and the following week is to some how get him and his crack buddies out of there. I don't know what the outcome will be, but something has to be done. Thank you for allowing me to ramble on, but I do so very much appreciate your warm wishes.
    with love,
    Alberta

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

I am so sorry; you are having a vey rough time. My pray for your strength and time to regroup before tackling each task every single day.

• shoregrowin
    17 years ago

Alberta,

What a hard time for you... Big hugs and prayers your way honey. Sow some seeds in memory if it will help.
    Know we are here for you if you need to talk. My motherinlaw was recently diagnosed. It is a horrible disease. God bless you and your family,
    ((((((Alberta)))))))

• lblack61
    17 years ago

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot on your hands, Alberta.
    I feel so bad for your mother. I will be praying for her.
    And I'll be praying for the other situation as well. You hang there, be strong (((more hugs)).
    Linda

• neonposey
    17 years ago

Alberta - just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going since you lost your dad. Any improvement with your mom? And i hope you gave that brother of yours a swift kick in the behind. I hope your doing ok.... we cant bring your dad back but we can let you know we care...

Thinking about you.....

• albertar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Neonposey,
    That was so sweet of you. Things are getting better, mom is still in the nursing home but should be released very soon, maybe even this coming week. I took her to the surgeon yesterday, and he has offically released her from his care, he wants her up and walking. At the nursing home they are keeping her in the wheelchair and that is just not my mom, 83 years old and feisty and independent as all hell.

The brothers....I think they are cleaning up their act, don't know for sure because I'm avoiding them like the plague, but one of moms neighbors said its been much more quiet over there lately, so hopefully they have stopped.

I'm doing better since last Saturday, I started feeling alive and alert again, again, thanks so much for thinking of me.
    Alberta

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

I was thinking about you this week as my dad went into the hospital for a pacemaker and things aren't going well. If my brother was a crackhead at least I could have him arrested. He's just stupid, and unfortunately, there is no stupid law.

Sometimes I think hermits have the right idea...

• albertar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen
    I hope your dad is ok, my mom has a pacemaker, and don't know if you know or not, but about every 5 years the battery must be changed. My mom is on coumadin, and when the time was coming close for her battery to be changed, she stopped the coumadin, but her blood levels were too high at the time so they put the changing of the battery off. Last summer, the damn pacemaker actually was protruding through her skin, she developed an infection, and we had to take her to a cardiac thoraic surgeon about 40 miles from here. In one day they removed the pacemaker, and she was on high levels of antibiotics for a week, the next week they put in the new pacemaker and she has been ok since, with the exception of this past fall breaking her hip. Oh its been one hell of a year!!! She's due to be released from this past session of nursing home/rehabilitation soon.

As for the crackhead, he is digging his own grave. Keep us posted on how your dad does.
    Alberta

• neonposey
    17 years ago

I'll drink to the hermit idea. My children (30, 27, 14) are just about to kill me. You would think as they get older, they would get less needy ~~ with mine? NOT!

• richdelmo
    17 years ago

My condolences Alberta, just read this today and hope you and yours are doing well.

• not_a_contessa
    17 years ago

Alberta you have been in my thoughts since you first posted this thread, and I'm finally able to let you know I feel so bad for all you have had to deal with. Sometimes life wants to kick us in the butt really hard, and that's when we learn how really strong we are! I'll keep you in my prayers.

Mary

Sponsored