Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
playintheyard

What's your GW name mean?

playintheyard
15 years ago

I often wonder the meaning behind different screen names.

Want to share yours?

In my family whenever we are going out to work in yard garden, mow,look around, whatever.. we call it playing in the yard

Comments (59)

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Mary Mary...

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Tiffy. She was a small Black Lab mix. She passed away four days before we moved to this house at the age of 18 in 2001. She was young and spry until the day she died when she had a stroke. She was my best ever friend bringing me through very difficult times in my life. One I could truly count on.

I see her spirit in my now 3 year old Raven, another Black Lab.

• dorisl
    15 years ago

my garden web name means I was having a brain cramp and couldnt think of a garden web name.

:)
    D

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Mine is simple... I share flowers.

I see pictures of peoples gardens where everything is touching. I don't think I'll ever see that because theres always someone wanting a division of a plant that I have. I just can't say NO!

Lisa

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

This is a great thread. I always wonder about people's web names. kqcrna and mmqchdygg I always wondered about yours.

Mine is because I became a grandma in 2003. The proud is understandable of course but also because he only weighed 2 lb 13 oz at birth and is now a rowdy 5 year old. I now have 6 grandchildren. (3 are step - no multiple births in those 6 years! LOL!)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Mine's pretty self explainatory too. I live at an elevation of 5655', which explains the Highalt., and I'm original from west Tennessee, so I was transplanted here. Going from a zone 7 where I could grow anything, to a zone 5 high desert climate was a major shock, and I found GW when I was searching for things that would actually grow here.

I started out on the Rocky Mountain Gardening forum, then someone on one of the other forums steered me over to the WS forum, and my life has never been the same, LOL!!!!

Bonnie

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Mine is fairly easy.
    When I would get upset or being sarcastic (no... not me) I would say Just peachy. The N = and. And the 5 is for my 5 children and 5 grandchildren.
    Bonnie

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Oh,this is fun,i too,have wondered about all our names.Ihope more respond.
    cAROL

• playintheyard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cAROL I'm enjoying it too! There are some I had no idea. Like mary mary lol. By the way why is the c in your name lower case? haha

Anyone else want to share?

Annette

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi Annette,
    Because i don't know how to tyYpE.
    No,just kidding,kinda.:0)
    I do this because there are several Carols here,it even confuses me,ha ha,oh, did i say that?No, the other Carol did.
    Does it bug you?I can change it if it does.
    cAROL,Carol,carol,:0)

• playintheyard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cAROL NO it doesn't bother me just being observant oh all right nosy lol

• kin2mice
    15 years ago

well, my nickname is Mouse (though I am not little or very furry - I am going gray though)My friends think I share many personality traits with them curiosity, nest building, heat seeking, food nibbling, scurring around without a seeming purpose, and twitching my nose.Oh! and I do eat as much cheese as my poor milk hating tummy allows! LOL so since there are usually lots of Mouse's ie.. Meeses/Mices around most forums I just go with kin2mice to show my relationship with the little things!

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

OT,
    I'm hungry!
    cAROL

• paradisa
    15 years ago

My gw name translates to mean 'garden of eden'.
    I consider my home and gardens my Paradise. As the keeper of my home and gardens, 'Paradisa' sounded like a godess name. I was always into mythology so I thought it would be fun to think of myself as 'Paradisa' and try and share a little bit of Paradise with everyone I meet.

Lorraine

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Mine is stupid well embarrassing..that is what the fiance calls me!...He always says when all the girl dogs are around me. He comes up and says he is the thorn around all the rosepetals...Dorky hahhahah I replaced the t with a d... :) After 6 years he still calls me rosepetal must be love... :) I love him too Barb

• clumsygrdner
    15 years ago

Mine is self-explanatory. Especially if you've known me. I've actually hit the ground so hard I've knocked myself unconcious. It was only for a few seconds (I think).

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

I live on Daffodil Lane, and daffodils have been my favorite flowers every since I was a little girl.

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

It's not that I lack creativity, I'm just a sensible person who uses few words. Well, that and I'm forgetful!
    -B

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Mine means I'm an idiot and had no idea I would be joining so many forums and having so much to chat about. I'm thinking I need to change just so folks can't google my name and read all about me and how I spend my free time. The internet is so big you just never know. When I think of changing it, I wonder about having to re-establish myself and ... Anyway, great thread! I'm enjoying learning about everyone (especially Mary, Mary - I would have never figured that one out! Nik

• irisheyes66
    15 years ago

Irish descent, born in 66...it has been my screen name since the early 90s.

• zubababy
    15 years ago

zuba is a short for my daughter's middle name zanib. I started using this screen name when she was a baby, she is 11 now.

• drippy
    15 years ago

I'm another dog - Drippy is our 10-year old Newfie.

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Oh I should have used my dogs name! It's Lily Paloma, like in the Al Stewart song "You're on my mind like a song on the radio" that would have been real cool, drat! Is to too late to change?!? I could have been worldly and mysterious!
    -B

• pumkingal
    15 years ago

Why pumkingal
    I love Halloween,so pumkings are the first thing i tried to grow,,I was comming up the hill with my arms just loaded up with all sizes, with a bright smile because they did so well,and my hubby said look at my pumkin she's a gal,, so put them together pumkingal
    they are also my grandson (Mr.B, real name Bryson) favorite things to grow,,

• token28001
    15 years ago

Token comes from SouthPark. I'm not a little black kid, but I am the only one like me. If there are others, we've never met. And the 28001 is my zip code.

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Jeesh Token-That changed my whole image of you!
    -B

• token28001
    15 years ago

What image did you have? I'm almost afraid to ask. LOL

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Why Token, I'm blushing! you've put me on the spot ;-)

No just kidding-I never pictured you as a "southpark kinda guy" you seemed a little more refined LOL!
    I don't like for the boys to watch it(at least while the little one is awake) so they were quite shocked to here me scream "no kitty" in Cartmans voice one day! The Casa Bonita one is my fav!
    -B

• pitimpinai
    15 years ago

I thought token was a girl. lol.

When I first set up an email address, I could not think of any name, so I just combined my two pet names. Not very original; I know. The name stuck. Maybe I should use only one. I'll think about it. :-)

Family either called me Tim or Nai.
    Pi (just like "P") is a Thai word for older sibling. In my old country, we don't usually address someone by his name directly. A word such as auntie, uncle, brother, sister is usually used as a prefix for politeness.

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

Nothing interesting or mysterious here...just truly was and forever will be new to gardening ways and from Jersey. Couldn't think of anything more original when starting on the forums.

My email with a variation of "rubyslippers" is my real heart.

• token28001
    15 years ago

Refined? Me? I guess if crude oil can be refined, so can I. LOL

I have my moments. I can go from SouthPark to Neiman Marcus in 5 seconds flat.

• karendee
    15 years ago

this was fun to read!

Mine is my first name and middle name. Real original huh?

My Dad used to call me by both names sometimes. I just like it

Karen

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Mine stands for I love flowers and rocks and children!
    Melinda

• brandymulvaine
    15 years ago

Ha Token! So instead of refined how about versatile?
    BTW I looked at your blog and you kinda remind me of my cousin Danny, it's probably the red hair!

Karendee, at least yours has a nice ring to it! My initials are B M :-(
    -B

• wendy2shoes
    15 years ago

I've always been a bit bossy, a perfectionist, and a little prudish, a "goody2shoes" in the playground a millennium ago. So, wendy2shoes seemed to fit.
    I have a daughter named Nikki..she's an architect. If she ever starts her own company, she'll call it Nikki9doors!
    Great thread! mmqchdygg! I'm so glad I found out what your name means! How clever!

• shemeows
    15 years ago

I've used SheMeows since 1998. That year I was given a little tabby cat, she didn't meow for months, she wasn't deaf, but it seemed she had no voice. Finally, one day, her tail got caught when closing the fridge door and boy, did she meow loud!. Dear significant other and I squealed "she meows!". It's been my nickname since.

The tabby is nearly 11 now and she hardly ever meows, still :)
    {{gwi:332689}}From The Lives And Times Of A Quilter's Cats

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

oh! shemeows, I just love your little grey baby and all the other pics of your little kitties....especially the little orange one with the adorable green hat!!!! :)
    gg

• chitownladyd
    15 years ago

My name comes from my mother's pet name for me - lady d - short for donna and I live in Chicago (nicknamed chitown). Not too imaginative but it'll do in a pinch.

La Donna

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

I've had mine for a very long time - since the 90s I think when I joined my first chat group at hgtv.
    I work in an office like the cartoon Dilbert, plus I love to play in the dirt. So I came up with "dirtbert".

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    15 years ago

Mine's so unoriginal. I signed up as plays in dirt, but that was already taken, so I added an extra "dirt." Seems fitting, though. I get twice as dirty as most when I work/play in the garden.

• sister_k
    15 years ago

Well, mine is not garden related. "Sister" became a nickname when I started playing rugby on my sister's rugby team after college. A woman named Donna on the team couldn't remember anyone's name, so I became "Sister" and it really stuck. A few years later, at a wedding, someone was telling Donna about a really nice lawyer she'd met -- when Donna asked who it was, the woman replied "I can't remember her name, but I know it was Sister's sister!" To this day, if I call anyone from my old team, I have to use my nickname, as no one would know my first name. The "k" in sister_k is for my first name, which is Kristin.

• bumblebee_gardener
    15 years ago

I used to drive a semi, and my CB handle was bumblebee, so I added gardener to it, and that's where that came from.
    Trish

• brightmoregirl
    15 years ago

I was raised in Brightmore, Mi. A small comm. just outside of Det. And I'm a girl.

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

Everytime I see token post I think of Southpark and that was before I read the post above.
    I try to keep things simple.
    My name is jim and I'm in zone 6b.
    I couldn't use a space in between the two so I used the underscore.
    jim_6b

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

"pretty"
    I believe it is from spanish dialect that is how my DH called me when we were dating

• monipsych
    15 years ago

I don't think I ever answered this. My name is a combo of my first name Monica and I used to be psychiatric nurse for 10+ years.

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    15 years ago

So fun to read. While thinking of a screen name I thought "well I seem to never put my trowel down and I am female" so I decided on Trowelgal. I was very flattered when a Master Gardening leader e-mailed me to see if their group could call themselves "Trowel Gals". Of course I said that would be fine.
    Tina from the Kansas City metro

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

My gardenweb user name means that when my late father-in-law was in his last days he took a fleeting interest in what I was doing on the internet and I set him up an account using albert_135, Yahoo had suggested it.

Then he died and ivillage took over vmirror and that name got burned into their files and I could not change it. Then I started using that name. And now it has become my identity.

• jessewo
    15 years ago

I guess I'm not too original-Jess was my dog. When we set up our first internet account I wanted something that people close to me might recognize without using our real names. Jesse was recently gone, & I figured he wouldn't mind! It's been my online persona ever since

• mayberrygardener
    15 years ago

We live in Broomfield, a bedroom community lodged between Denver and Boulder, and hubby and I joke that the kids live in a bubble and have no idea that life elsewhere isn't anything like living in "Broomberry." I transplanted here three years ago, and am still learning to garden in Broomfield aka "Mayberry," and have decided that Garden Patch Grow Boxes are the only way to beat the bindweed. A gardener from my youngest days (Mom had us weeding when we were just out of diapers), the name just kinda came to me!
    This is my first year to WS, and I planted tomatoes, pansies, petunias, and carpet of snow--WHILE it was snowing!

Sponsored