Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodil emerging now??

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 10, 07 at 16:59

Is it right for my Daffodil to start emerging this early? I dug some up and moved them last fall and noticed the shoots today in the south bed.
I checked and last year they bloomed in beginning of April, but just can't recall them emerging so soon. The shoots are 2-3".

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodil emerging now??

Well...they usually know what they are doing...probably "testing" the air like we stick out toes in water.

Maybe the groundhog WAS right...lol!

I know Tulips have some type of "antifreeze" in their system, might be the same for Daffodils...they will be just fine.

My Star of Bethlehem is coming up, too...haven't checked on the Daffs...guess I should.

o

LOL! Well so far the groundhog was right. It's been pretty mild as February usually is around here, but March always takes a turn. As for now it's rainy and muddy...yuck!

Vera

o

Established Daffodils in my garden always come up in November-December. The tops always freeze in Feb. If they haven't sent up any flower bud yet, they'll be ok in April. But if the weather is warm just like the past December-January, the buds are up several inches.....then b...bye...:-( until next fall.

o

We've had several warm Decembers here and my estabished Daff's never emerged! How strange is that?

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here