Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Made the mistake of going to a Gardening Chat Room

mmqchdygg
18 years ago

OMG, people are FREAKS! I frequented chat rooms when I used aol years ago, and I just found the chat feature on my Yahoo Messenger thingy just now, so figured, hey, I'll go chat flowers & dirt with some other flower & dirt people. Not. OMG get me OUT of here!

Within 2 minutes of entering a room, I had 2 instant messages wanting my 'personal data'...and no one was talking about gardening.

Won't do that again. What a bunch of FREAKS!!! Staying put here on our boards!

Comments (12)

• bev1951
    18 years ago

I did that too before I found this place, some guy wanted me to turn on my web cam, nobody wanted to talk about seeds or anything yuk. I'm very careful now. But you're right this is the place to be. Especially for us garden freaks. Or is that ducks ? Quack !

• mudinmyshorts
    18 years ago

Hmmm ... and all this time I thought you had your web cameras on.

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

MIM, you always give me a chuckle. How do you post these interesting inserts?

• gjmancini
    18 years ago

Mudd,

scary eyeballs.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Depends on where you go--AOL's "Potting Shed" is usually full of people chatting about gardening or food or remodeling or food or pets or food...

• mudinmyshorts
    18 years ago

I use to go to the Potting Shed once in awhile. It was a fun pace and nice people most visits.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

i made that same mistake of going into an aol garden chat room. seeds, dirt and plants were the last things on anyone's mind. oh well.

reminds me when i first got on aol many many moons ago and i was looking over the chat listings and found one "TV". well, i thought, "i like television, i could add something about one show or another". yeah right, it was all about tranvestites (disclaimer: not that there's anything wrong with that - it just wasn't for me). made me steer clear of chat rooms.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't know the first thing about setting up a chat-room, but I am totally for it! I'm on Yahoo (you already knew that), and I have AOL instant messenger, but again, not sure how that all works if we 'schedule' chat times or what...an 'open-24/7/365' option would be good.
    Hey, Trish- email me on how you make those cool gif signature thingies.

• Ryan Darling
    6 years ago

Well crap there goes this plan. Im recently single and i thought now how in the world am i going to meet someone with my same interests. I love to garden and Im getting serious about it. i can talk about it forever. Im working out opening a greenhouse nursery and i thought it would be nice to talk to someone who shared my passion. So i went looking for a chat room and undoubtedly would have asked for some details on who i was talking to. This is seriously my first google link and the first thing i saw. lol

• User
    6 years ago

hi, well i share your passion for growing stuff. Trees are my first love, i grow as many as i can from seed or seedlings and i love trying to plant rare and new varieties. I have run out of space now though .. it’s very rewarding and so i guess i am a garden geek now. There must be loads of people want to but you just need the space. This seems to be a fair forum for us such minded folks ! I too was on AOL way back in the day, it was a shame their chat rooms ended as they were useful and interesting to chat on. I don’t and won’t ever use facebook . I suppose i am now old fashioned but i think facebook is a spying tool that you all should avoid. Just my opinion. :) keep on planting ! ps anybody want some trees ? i have a greenhouse full of baby conifers and many are very rare varieties i can share , i am struggling to find them their spots . Any other tree enthusiasts out there.? Love to chat on trees ...Ivor

• cory carlson
    4 years ago

New here. Anyone here?

Sponsored