Houzz Logo Print
nancy_drew_gw

Top Ten Reasons NOT to Wish Winter Away

nancy_drew
15 years ago

Top Ten Reasons NOT to Wish Winter Away

from The Old Farmer's Almanac

1. No crowds at the beach.

9. Ice cream wonÂt melt on the way home from the store.

8. You donÂt have to mow the grass or weed the garden (in most places anyway).

7. Winter comfort food - soups, chili, hot chocolate, homemade breads. . .

6. Fires in your fireplace. There is something magical about watching a fire (donÂt forget the marshmallows).

5. Cold weather is a good excuse to do nothing, without the guilt. Stay inside and catch up on good books, movies, or crafts. Especially good when temperatures really dip, and snow starts to fall.

4. Winter sports - winter is the only time you can go skiing, snowboarding, sled riding, ice skating, and more.

3. No humidity in the air (good for hair and for exercising).

2. No biting bugs.

1. Snow. ThereÂs just something magical (until March) about the pretty white stuff that blankets the ground and trees. ItÂs almost like someone dusts our landscape with powdered sugar. Enjoy it  make snowmen, have a snowball fight, go sled riding, take pictures of it.

Is anybody buying this? I'm thinking probably NOT!! ;)

Comments (11)

• lblack61
    15 years ago

I am....particularly the "bugs" part.
    Winter sports though? Not my thing.
    I do have to add one:
    Don't wish winter away because you'll be wishing the weather would cool off just a bit so you won't be out of breath with all that "Plunking and Running" (as Bakemom puts it :-)

Linda

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

We need winter to help our addiction,some seed just needs cold weather.
    Other than that,emmmmm,NOTHING!
    I am so sick of winter,i can have a bon fire when it is 98,out side and enjoy it just as much,sorry,ask this again inearly fall, :0)
    cAROL

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Linda - LOL. true.

• lblack61
    15 years ago

Bakemom,
    That "plunk and run" gets so serious by the time the mid-June hits, those bugs have no trouble tracking me down for all the sweating I'm doing (darn black flies).

L

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Don't wish it away too soon. I still have over 100 perinnials to plant on top of the 220 I've already got WSed. And don't even get me started on the same number of annuals waiting to go!

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Winter means being indoors a lot more and tends to necessitate more house cleaning out of desperation. My house is tiny with no storage, I have to clean to find the food and survive. I can't lose my toddler in the mess either.

When spring hits I practically abandon the house till my DH has a word with me. I mean he has a point we do need clothes, but still.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

"tends to necessitate more house cleaning out of desperation" Funny, I've never got that desperate.! I can always find something to do besides clean house. Hey, as long as there is a path to the important stuff all is well! LOL!

"he has a point we do need clothes" Only if you're going out in public. LOL! If you can't stand to see yourelf naked in front of a mirror, dirty once will do fine inside the house.

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Winters pretty in the beginning but only the beginning. First snowfall and all. Housework well it's always there even when you just did it someones coming along and messing it up again. I know there's no mowing right now but when the snow melts cripes it is a mess out in my yard! I have to admit though I'm glad it's still cold out as my arm is still mending and I would be a walking $$%^ch if I could not be playing out in the garden.

sorry guess I'm a little cranky

Annette

• drippy
    15 years ago

I can only think of one reason not to wish winter away - income taxes due in spring!

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

I'm at that crossroads in Winter sowing world:

Snow- make it gone already...I've had enough of this! But in the same breath I'm shouting "WAIT! I'm not done yet!"

I might think I'm 'done for now' until the annuals go in ~4/1, but I inevitably find more that I want to sow in the stash. So I keep going til I run out of time (cuz there's no such thing as running out of seeds)

• pitimpinai
    15 years ago

I actually am busier this winter than ever before: ice skating, winter sowing, photography class. I don't really want the winter to end. I am way behind with my sowing and sewing. So many things to mend.

On the other hand, I don't care much for the snow, because I cannot walk home from work on those icy sidewalks. And my middle needs my summer activities. lol. The roll is getting bigger than I care to look. :-D

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm