Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White nats on houseplants

Posted by nikkineel GA 8/7b (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 20:48

I have several plants in the sunroom including some rooted stuff. I have a BUNCH of those white nats on the leaves of some of them. What do I do? Is there something I can buy to get rid of them? Natural remedies? UUGGGHH Nikki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White nats on houseplants

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 20, 09 at 4:05

Are you talking whiteflies? If so, they can be hard to get rid of, a real pain. I used Safer Insecticidal soap to help me last year when I had an infestation on some overwintering plants inside. It was a constant battle, and I ended up dumping the plant that probably started it all; after that, things got under control.

Check out this site:
Managing whiteflies

Hope this helps ....

PV

o

I had a mite infestation this year and had to have terminex spray everything in the kitchen. We tend to get carpenter ants too. Sigh.

o

I am fighting fruit flies! What a pain. I have too many critters and kiddos to use chemicals, so I have been sitting out lids full of vinegar and that seems to clear them out for awhile. It all started because I left my compost bowl out on the counter over night without dumping outside :-(.
Grrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Carrie

o

On the up side the terminex ppl, check up with us every six months and spray again for free. I asked and their spray is kid, animal and plant friendly. Still not so beneficial bug friendly I suppose. I guess the places I really need helpful bugs is farther away from the house so I am ok with this.

While it is entirely gross, you could get some fly strips and hang them above the kids reach. It might cut the population some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here