Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Leaving the Winter Sown gardens part 2

tiffy_z5_6_can
13 years ago

First, I would like to thank everyone for their great support. I have been lurking on GW for the last little while and not posting, but rest assured that I am still here and all of your comments of encouragement have been needed and welcomed. You are all such a great bunch of people!

We finally got an offer on the house yesterday. Not really a reasonable price in my eyes, but we made a counter offer and are awaiting the reply.

The offer was received when I was looking at a little house on 1/2 acre overlooking Terence Bay. It is a foreclosure which has been on the market for nearly a year. It's an old little house which has character, floors which are not level, a chimney which is breaking apart and has no apparent purpose, a basement which is not developed, etc. But it is definitely habitable. The electricity works great and the oil furnace (forced air) was operating as well so the house was toasty warm. There's two bedrooms, a livingroom, kitchen, small laundry area, and area for computer or such, nice old bathroom - just cute!

The bonus is that it has a nicely set piece of land which has mature Forsythias, Japanese Quince, Weigela, Spruce trees, Lilacs, Spireas, and more. I was never able to start Forsythias and Lilacs in my present gardens. There is a wired shed of a good size of which 1/2 might be turned into a greenhouse in the future. I may have to charge the present tenant rent... squirrel. Pretty little thing. We became friends yesterday while I was waiting for the realtor.

The property has a good 'grade' sloping down to the road. It is set about 3/4 to the back of the property. The house was started about 60 years ago by a poor couple. I was able to get some info from them which is good. Since 2000, the house has sold twice, both times with good price increases. Eugene, the original owner, built the first part of the house out of 3 sheds, and then later added the front. It's the front of the house which slopes down a bit. It has the livingroom and two bedrooms in it. It has a drilled well which is great and if the septic is as Eugene left it then there should be no problems.

His wife was a gardener and apparently the neighbors remember her gardens as being 'the best in all of Terence Bay' so the land should be good. The grey water from the kitchen sink does not feed into the septic, but actually runs parallel to it and into the soil of the front lawn. She wanted it that way to 'keep the soil healthy and not waste water'.

Needless to say that my life is suspended in mid-air right now. The people who made the offer on our house want a closing date of March 31st. OUCH!! Their present house is sold and they have to be out by April 1st. They can back out of the deal until March 15th. The anxiety I feel is just tremendous!!!

If our counter offer is accepted, then I will make an offer on 'the little house'.

I've kept you long enough. :O) I'll keep you posted.

Comments (53)

• drippy
    13 years ago

Hey, Tiffy, I had a feeling reading this that if the original offer & counter-offer weren't totally in the weeds, you'd sell - that the other couple had to be out by March 31 I'm sure made them anxious too. Having been in the house-selling/buying position in the past two years, it probably won't go forth smoothly in a straight line (of course, it could, and we'll pray it does!), but you will get there. We are all pulling for you.

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago

Hi tiffy,
    You have been on my mind and my prayer. I am glad you have sold your house. The new place sounds wonderful. Who needs a big house? The garden sounds wonderful and delightful.
    When you are ready, I'll send you more seeds. I may try sending plants too. :-)

All the best.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

That's wonderful news! I know it's too early to be really excited for you, but hard not to be so will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I think you're going to end up with that water view property yet, one way or another :)

I know you've had a tough several weeks and am so pleased to hear things may be looking up for you and Robyn - that maybe you'll be able to get off this roller coaster soon.

What luck your house has sold! I know of just one lovely home that has sold last week in my general neighborhood after being on the market since Oct, that was lightening fast for the way things have been moving here.

Thanks for updating us, I know we are all thinking of you.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

so glad to see you updating Nicole! :) I have been thinking about you.
    What a relief to have the house sold and at least another one that you are interested in. It sounds like one that would be great for you. I really hope you are meant to get it. It sure would settle things and make you a bit less anxious, and it would be wonderful to get into it and settled in time to do some gardening!
    Keep us posted and like others are offering.........I have seeds if you need some. :)

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

That's wonderful! Good luck with everything. Please keep us posted. And since you might not have many WSown seedling pics to post this year, we'll settle for pics of your new house ;-)

Karen

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Hi Tiffy,
    Wow! You have some darn good news to share with us all,the little house sounds perfect for you and your daughter,I love homes with charater,I can feel the excitment in your voice,just know, things have a way of working out,and so many times for the better,wishing you great sucess in your barganing power,I felt pain in the pit of my tummy,when you said you felt sorry for your hubby,you are a kind soul,
    Later,Carol

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

That sounds like a home that I would love, who cares about the house as long as you can have your garden!!

Many foreclosures around here also, and since the main employer in the area will be closing their doors by the end of the year I am sure it is only going to get worse. I am so glad to hear that you sold your house, that is wonderful wonderful wonderful news!! Yippeee!!

Good luck Tiffy, may everything work out for the best!!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Made an offer on the little house yesterday. Crossing my fingers and toes sooo badly they are cramped. The bank is asking $86,000.00 and we've started the offers at $73,500.00 knowing we may have to go to the asking price, but as my agent says, "You can always go up in price but never down.", so we are taking our chances they will take a much lower offering.

Here's a link to the listing. Doesn't really show the property that much, but if I get it I'll post pictures. :O)

Keeping my chin up! I could be asking for seeds soon. I know I will lose this computer by the end of the month, but a friend has offered one to me once I get settled. The kindness of people is overwhelming and certainly realized at this point in my life... whether they are near or far.

Here is a link that might be useful: MLS Listing for the little house

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Oh, Nicole, it looks wonderful!!!! It's so much nicer than I'd imagined from your description! You didn't do it justice. The rooms are a nice size, pretty windows and doors (I love that porthole window). And if you've never had laminate flooring, it's great. And terrific garden possibilities!

I think you're going to end up in that pretty house.

Karen

• drippy
    13 years ago

I have Joe Pye weed seeds for you if you want them, and probably some ROS Bluebird, too (have to search through the stash) - it seems a shame that you had to leave behind the Bluebird you started from seed - did it ever get to bloom stage for you?

13 years ago

Nicole, that looks like great light, lots of windows...I think you can make that very comfortable. We'll hope they don't keep you waiting too long responding to your offer - Then you can start with the before and after photos of the garden too! You know we're all looking forward to those :)

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Hi tiffy,The little house looks great,so does the neighborhood,looks nice and quiet,homes not to close to each other, and a blank slate you can work with,I love the different levels to the property,I can only imagin what you will do with it.Good luck, we are all behind you 100%,I think your mail person will wonder what in the world is going on, once you move in,all the packages you will be getting,I keep checking to see what is new with you,keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.
    cAROL

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bank counter offered at $83,000.00 today, so I went back with $79,000.00. More waiting.... Started talking to the bank today. Wish me lots of luck. :O)

13 years ago

I think that was really fast considering what I understand is the time in which a bank will normally address an offer here - I was afraid you were in for a long involved wait!

A counter is good. I'm sending all my positive thoughts your way, you're due for some luck and some good news and I pray this will be it. Hang in there :)

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Tiffy, I'm excited for you.
    Waiting to hear,good luck to you.
    cAROL

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Sounding hopeful Tiffy. We're pulling for you.

Karen

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    13 years ago

morz8,

I guess things are different here in Canada. I've heard about the wait for 'short sales' in the states and would not want to wait on those.

My friends, :O)

The foreclosure bank came back and accepted my $79.000.00 offer!!!!!! One hurdle gone. I was jumping up and down last night when my agent told me.

The hard part may be yet to come this week. We know there is a foundation issue and that it will be noted in the house inspection. House inspections have to be done here (law) - not sure if it's the same in the US. I have decided that before I spend $$ on a house inspector, I will ask an acquaintance to check out the foundation. This acquaintance raises homes to rebuild foundations.

Then there's the bank for the mortgage... They haven't said 'no' yet and hopefully will not.

We already know the water test - another thing required by law for the sale/purchase of homes here - will come back with high levels of iron, but that can easily be solved.

Signing the deal to lock them in at $79,000.00 tomorrow. :O)

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

OMGosh tiffy, jumping up and down with you.
    How sweet is that!
    I hope the foundation is not so bad you can't move in, if repairs are needed, will they pay for them? Many times the seller will, cause they want to sell the house.
    Well wishes sent your way,((((((((((((( Hurray ))))))))))
    cAROL

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

that is wonderful news! Hoping that the rest of the news is just as good! :)

(YAY!!)

13 years ago

OMG, I left you a note, answered the phone and submitted - where did it go?

This is great news, your plans for this house are moving right along. Fingers are crossed you get something positive from your friend when checking the foundation - or at least something easily fixed and not at your expense if at all possible. Best of luck on the mortgage application too, you deserve it and hopefully the bank will see it your way.

You know we'll want more pictures when that final signature has been made...

OT, my mother had a house once with well water where the iron was a little high...not bad, and no odor or anything but I loved it. When I'd stay there and shower, I never had a bad hair day like with my city water, for some reason it agreed with my hair :) Too much iron can't be all bad.

Let us know, we're all excited for you!

• drippy
    13 years ago

Great news! FWIW, in MA you can't buy a garage for that! (AL is definitely more reasonable). Building inspections are the norm in the US - don't believe it's required, but it's strongly advised.

Best of luck to you!

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

Wonderful, Tiffy. I hope all goes well.

BTW, I have 3 cracks in my foundation. I have scheduled a repair for this week at $300 per crack.

Karen

• norabelle
    13 years ago

Wonderful news, Tiffy. I will continue to put good thoughts and prayers around you and your family. The property has so much potential with your incredible gardening abilities and vision.

We had failure of a frost-wall foundation a few years ago on an addition that was built on in the '60s. We had masonry people do the job, which we thought was reasonably priced ($3K) compared to the $16,000+ the foundation companies were quoting us--for a 12X12 addition. Concrete masons are who I would go to first.

cheers,
    Norabelle

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

There are companies that specialize in repairing damage to foundations. The one I'm going to use injects a material into the crack to seal it. My friend, a home builder, has used them and been happy with the results. They give a 10 year guarantee.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: foundation repair

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    13 years ago

:O) You folks lift my spirits!!

Waiting on my agent to sign the deal and I will be booking an inspector for mid-week.

I am sooo itching to start some winter sowing. The snow has disappeared here. There's only pockets left in north facing areas bordered by woodlands. Today it's sunny and you can feel the warmth of the sun. I'll be out planning what will be taken to the new little old house if I get it. Funny, first on the list will be over 70 bags of shredded leaves I gathered last fall. LOL!! Anybody got a truck? Don't think they'll fit in the Yaris...

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Ha Ha Tiffy, you may have to rent a uhaul just to move all your goodies.I have a truck, I would be there in a heart beat if I could.
    Good news today, will check back in a few days, get planning girl.
    cAROL
    oHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, your beautiful rocks, drats! Will you be able to take any of them?

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Glad that you are moving forward on the new property and hope the inspection results allow you to continue.

How fortunate that your shredded leaves are bagged. Will you also be able to take any of your perennials? Don't know if you wrote that into the sale of your home or even if weather there is conducive to transplanting.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol,

There are beautiful rocks on the new property. They may not be where I want them but there is one which is just amazing. Don't worry, I will have rocks!! :O)

mnswgal,

There is a clause in the sale of our home which states that I may return to the property between March 31st and May 15th to divide any perennials I so wish. Also to remove all plants from the veggie beds which in the winter act as holding beds. These are full of Milkweed, Blueberry Bushes, Butterfly Bushes and Katsura trees. The Blueberries were bought and are about 5 years old, but all else was winter sown last year. I also have it in the sale papers that I will be removing a Rhododendron which was started from seed by a WWII veteran who specializes in hybridizing them. It is now about 3.5 feet tall and wide.
    I plan to show up on the property with 5 fellow gardeners. Things will be planned days in advance so that there is little disruption to the new owners.

If I don't get the little house, I am still planning to do this as some plants in the gardens are a rarity here and other gardeners would nurture them. :O)

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Oh Happy Day ! This is sounding better and better.
    I am so happy about the rocks, a garden just has to have rocks,have you ever posted pictures of the Rhododendron,I don't remember seeing it.Oh, and Katsura Trees, I love them, you can plant a whole row if you have enough of them.
    I can donate to you some hosta,when you are ready.What fun.
    cAROL

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Nicole, you have done a good job thinking ahead to removing plants. Having other gardeners come with you to help also makes it less awkward for both you and the new owners. Good to be planning for those rare plants when you don't know if the new owners of the property would take care of them.

Your geographic area looks like there would be rocks most anywhere and you are wonderful at using them.

13 years ago

Tiffy, have you moved a rhododendron that size? It's not difficult, let me know if you need any tips on how to go about it....I won't assume you don't know and give you details now :)

• carrie630
    13 years ago

Tiffy, Tiffy - the sweetheart of Wintersowing!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

I am just getting on wintersowing first time in a while and read all the posts (also Karen has kept me up to date about you because we love you so much...)

Good luck! You deserve the best... Haven't been posting much lately but will keep checking conversations to make sure you are doing well...

Carrie

• PVick
    13 years ago

Great news, tiffy! Got all the digits crossed, hoping that everything goes well.

Waiting for the rest of the news ....

PV

• carrie630
    13 years ago

PS - Tiff (I still call you tiff...:0)

I admire your positive attitude - It was smart to put that clause in and to retrieve some of your special perennials - great idea for all of us just in case we have to move or whatever...

Good luck -

Carrie

• terrene
    13 years ago

Hello Tiffy, glad to hear that you have come to an agreement with the bank and hope the tests go well on your new house!

I hope you are hanging in there and am very relieved to hear that you can go and retrieve plants from your gardens. Wonderful! Hopefully you can get some WSing done soon too. With your experience you can make beautiful new gardens again in no time.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Things did not turn out well with the little house. The inspection was not good and I had to back away.

With only 2 weeks left until we leave this home, I had to find an apartment.

I won't be here anymore for some time as I am going to do without a computer. DH gets it...

I'll talk to you all in the future my friends and hope you all have the best ever summer in 2011!!!

13 years ago

That must have been very hard for you to write.

You have dozens of other things to tend to right now but had you thought about fostering some of your plants at friends....

You won't lose your skill or talent with plants or creating beautiful gardens. I'm sorry you are having to take a break but I know you'll have a garden again and can't wait until you are sharing it with us through photos and posts. We'll all look forward to helping you with it in any way we can.

For now, please take care of yourself, if you have to be away you'll be missed, and please check in if have a chance - even if just to say hi. ((((hugs))))

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

Sorry that the little house did not pass its inspection but good to know you won't have insurmountable problems in a new home.

These are the hard moments but I believe that you will find a place for you and your daughter that will be just what you want. Having an apartment will give you more time to look without the pressure of needing it now.

I wish you well and will look forward to seeing your posts again when you are able. Sending virtual hugs your way.

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

I'm sorry Tiffy,I believe things happen for a reason, there is a much nicer home, just waiting for you and your daughter.Just wait til you see it!
    We will all miss you,and hope you can pop in now and then,you will enjoy some quiet time,I hope you at least like the apt.
    ((((((((((((((((( hugs )))))))))))))))))))))))
    Wishing you the very best,
    cAROL

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

So sorry Tiffy. You'll get your new house soon.

Taking a little break from gardening might not be such a bad thing. Right now (as I look at all the work my yard needs now), a little reprieve sounds pretty good. You have enough on your plate for a while. Your perfect house will come along soon enough.

Wishing you all the best,
    Karen

• terrene
    13 years ago

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear about the little house. Another wrench thrown into your life! However, if the house has serious problems it is for the best that you don't buy it. I manage several properties and tenants for a living and this is a headache even when they don't have major issues!

I hope that soon, this will pass and you will find a wonderful home for you and your daughter.

• greylady_gardener
    13 years ago

((((Nicole))))So sorry about the house! I hope you are able to read all the posts from your friends before you lose the computer. We are all thinking about you and will look forward to hearing from you very soon.

• norabelle
    13 years ago

Sending you good thoughts and prayers for new opportunities and peace as you make this new transition, Tiffy. I also will put energy toward good things coming out of this difficult time. You are an inspiration and resource to so many of us here.

warm regards,
    Norabelle

• PVick
    13 years ago

Oh, too bad things didn't work out. Back to the drawing board.

I'm sure that another, better opportunity will come your way. You know, one door closes and another one opens .... ?

Keep on truckin', girl. All will be well.

PV

• carrie630
    13 years ago

I hope you get to read all of the above posts - Gosh darn it - I was hoping you were more settled but yes, so true, wasn't meant to be and something much better will come around for you - because you deserve the VERY, VERY best - and we all REALLY mean that...

Take care - Tiff

• drippy
    13 years ago

Thinking of you - as I walk around my as-yet mostly naked yard, trying to plan what to do. I so admire your landscaping design ideas, and wish you could take a little break & come south for awhile! But spring will be taking over NS soon, if it hasn't already, and will hopefully make your heart soar in spite of the difficulties you have endured. I join with others to wish you & your daughter the best.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Tiffy, which house is it? The grey one? Glad you are doing okay. Have you been packing up things already? When you're ready for seed donations..you know your friends at GW will fix you right up. When you're ready, just post a wish list.
    Is there a plan B? I don't want you to be out on the street with no place to go when the new buyers want to make settlement for May 31..

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

Hello Tiffy: I have not been on the site much this past year, as I have been very busy helping with one of my sisters who is still quite ill, so I had no knowledge of your predicament. I am so sorry to hear your news, it is so painful. I went through it many years ago, but rest assured good times will come again. I just cannot imagine having to give up your beautiful gardens. You may not remember, but you got me started with Winter Sowing and sent me beautiful seeds. Only today I was looking for the new growth on my Buddleia (winter sown - seeds from you) since it has been so cold here. I still remember the times of feeling that this could not be happening to me, and that I could not endure another day of pain, but we are stronger than we think we are, and I am sure that you have the strength to get through it. As I say when things are difficult 'this too will pass' and suddenly you realize one day that it has. You just need to take it one day at a time. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Be strong and keep healthy. Hugs!
    Northerner.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Tiffy, I never visit the conversation side, so I have missed all you have been going through. I always enjoy your posts and especially the butterfly ones. I pray you continue to adjust and find happiness in your new home and life.

Bev

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Tiffy, it's been a few months since I've seen you post, hope all is going better for you now. Maybe you are posting on a different forum. I thought of you yesterday and realized I hadn't seen any recent messages from you. Keep smiling and remember you have a lot of friends here that care about you.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022