Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_drew_gw

On Your Mark(er)...

nancy_drew
15 years ago

I've been obsessing lately... (so what else is new?)... searching for creative and inexpensive ways to mark my plants. I know that my mini-blind markers are not going to hold up for long, and being the good little Bohemian that I am... I don't want to spend a buck a piece for something that doesn't look attractive.

I thought of painting the plant name on pretty rocks, however, I have a future geologist on my hands...

What are you going to do? I know a lot of you don't mark at all... I'm not any good at remembering what I sowed yesterday, let alone what I planted last spring!! I'm afraid I'll be pulling out the good stuff if I don't mark it!

Comments (8)

• token28001
    15 years ago

I use mini blinds. Once they bloom, I will know what they are and remove them. I've started using laser printed labels that I cut to a smaller size. I can print 4-10 of these per label depending on the length of the name/info I put on them. I then cover them with scotch tape. I also use a DYMO printer, but it's more expensive and the tape doesn't go as far as I would like.

I hope this fall to put some sort of natural marker wherever there are plants in the garden. That way I won't dig them up over the winter like I did this year.

• nancy_drew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alrighty... we both know that the kids have to have name tags...

Here's what I have come up with so far... tell me what you think.

They have a 10# bag of concrete mix at Lowes. I was thinking of getting that and filling aluminum muffin tins with it... maybe half full. Then paint the cement muffins.... (like I haven't made THOSE before!)... label them and seal them with some concrete sealer we have left over from when we put in some new flooring.

Do you think it would work? I wonder how "natural" I can get them to look?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes concrete

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Nancy,i love that idea!
    What are you going to use to mark them when they are dry?
    I don't know how much work you want to put into them,or money,but there is a colorent you can add to the mix when wet.You could make them as natural looking as ytou like.
    Please post some pictures if you do it.
    Have fun.
    cAROL

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

OK, this may sound really crazy (but this should not surprise anyone). My backyard butts up to a golf course so over the past 6 years I've collected lots of golf balls. (And baby, I mean LOTS). My thought was to buy 5# of big spike nails, epoxy glue one nail to one golf ball, put a number on the golf ball, shove it next to a plant, then record the number on a spreadsheet with all the data I want (sowed, planted out, gifter, botanical & common name - whatever). Those white (and colored) balls would be unobtrusive under the plants, yet would stand out so I could read the numbers. Eventually I'd learn the plants so I wouldn't have to refer to my printout so often. But what the heck -- when life gives ya golf balls - why not use 'em?

Of course it'll drive the golfers crazy seeing all those golf balls lying around in my yard.... LOL LOL

Kris

• nancy_drew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol, I'm not completely sure about how I might label them. Maybe a paint pen, or a label maker label sealed on it. I was also thinking I might mix tempra paint powder in the cement mix. Michael, my hubby, has all kinds of goodies left over from his Scout Leader days that I can sort through.

How do you mark your plants?

Kiddo, the whole concept of winter sowing requires a bit of craziness! That's a great idea! My hubby would love your markers... my son might swing at them!!

• seedmama
    15 years ago

Nancy, I like your muffin idea. If you want a more natural look, think back to sand candles. Pack a box with sand then scoop out a variety of shapes to pour the concrete in.

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Or try the hypertufa forum. Mix up a batch and make them whatever shape you want them.

• nancy_drew
    Original Author
    15 years ago

omg.... what have you done, proudgm???

My father-in-law was part of a group of professional concrete workers who designed, and then created one of the very first 3D, concrete walls along a main street on the south side of Chicago. I'm pretty sure that wall goes for an entire city block!

It's times like this, I miss him the most...

So... now you come along and send me off on what could quickly turn into one more addiction, OCDC, mind reeling adventure...

You must have been channeling Dad... God bless him!

Sponsored