Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental Onion

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 17, 06 at 9:50

I posted on the Allium forum, but they don't seem to be active right now.
Last fall I ordered some Ornamental Onion 'Azure' from Brecks and the bulbs came straight from Holland sometime in October. I never did get them in the ground and they are supposed to be spring bloomers...right around when tulips fade off. Do you think I can get them in this spring and hope for late summer, fall blooms or should I just keep them cool and dry until fall? I've never grown these before.

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental Onion

If it were me I would stick them in the ground right away. That way they at least won't dry out and die on me. You may not get any bloom this year if they are something that needs chill to set bloom but I would think they would at least put up some leaves so you know they are alive. I've planted garlic in mid spring instead of fall like you are supposed to and it did ok.

o

If I put them in the ground now in cold, wet soil without roots they won't rot?

Vera

o

Well, I suppose you are probably wetter there than I am here so I'm really not sure. You could always wait till things dry out and warm up a bit. But me, personally, I wouldn't wait until fall because I'm not very good at keeping bulbs in good shape. You could try the more general Bulbs forum. It looks like it's busy over there.

o

Ok thanks, I'll do that.

Vera

o

The rule of thumb for bulbs in Zone 5 is that they can be planted any time (fall through winter) as long as the soil isn't frozen. I have some bulbs in my garage that I was hoping to get in the ground last week during our "warm" spell. But, alas, it was not to be!!

o

Well the ground is thaw...I guess I'll get them in tomorrow! Thanks a bunch!
Today I spent the afternoon cleaning up the creeping thyme, grasses, etc, and got some more jugs out today: Wave Petunia (red), Maltese Cross, Cosmos, Fountain Grass, Harlequin Marigold, Salvia 'East Friesland, Larkspur 'Earl Grey', and Lavatera (Rose Mallow).

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here