Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet William

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 10:21

Good morning,

I am wondering what to do with my last year's wintersown SW's. They looked pretty good, green and or dark purple leaves and then the real cold and extremely windy snap hit us a few weeks back. Now ever single plant looks very tattered/shredded. Can I clean them up this spring by cutting them back or will these leaves fall away (or be hidden) for newer and fresher leaves?

Thanks,

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet William

Hi Vera,

When I clean the gardens in the spring, I cut mine back to about an inch from the crown. My experience has been that the plant grows back from the crown and is quite strong.

Mine will be four years old this spring - one of the first things I winter sowed! I liked them so much that last year I sowed a double-blooming variety. The flowers look like a tiny carnation. Looking forward to seeing them bloom!

o

• Posted by nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 12, 06 at 11:40

I also give mine a good haircut whenever they start looking ratty and they reward me with lots of new growth.

o

I left them ratty and they cleaned up ok. Maybe I will cut mine back too.

o

I scraped away the driest leaves and they bloomed like crazy.

o

For 10 years now, a friend and I have been hacking that damage back to about 1 inch from the ground and they come back like gang busters every year and they look neater and cleaner by doing this.

o

I don't think I'd do much to it...do you know there has been a piece of it on my porch (not in soil) that was revealed when the ice thawed, and it is as green as anything. It was just lying there on the porch. So I stuck it in the ground Saturday.
I have more and usually, I take off the tattered leaves after new growth starts on them. I also take whatever parts have dropped off that have a stem and stick them in the ground somewhere else. SW has been so reliable for me. It's become a "must have" in my garden.

o

Thanks! Sorry didn't reply sooner, but for some reason I wasn't getting email notification:(
OK, sounds great. I will clean them up/cut back here soon.
Now, are these plants perennial or biennial and just coming back from seed? My seed packet and many other sources say that Dianthus barbatus is a biennnial.

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here