Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I re-use this un-cancelled 'Canada' 89¢ stamp?

Posted by mmqchdygg Z5NH (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 7, 06 at 14:33

bought something from eBay. Came in #10 envie. Stamp is an 89-cent thing, and is un-cancelled. Can I do anything with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I re-use this un-cancelled 'Canada' 89¢ stamp?

Not sure???
I've gotten the odd Canadian mailing where the stamps look un-touched and wondered myself if they were still usable.....I also wondered if they are using an "undetectable" cancellation system?
The question is, is Canada post neglectful and one mailing wasn't processed, or are they high-tech-sneaky and marking the stamps in an mysteriously invisible ink????
...........only the posties know..............

o

However, on that note, it wouldn't make any sense to use invisible ink: Your average Joe has unused stamps. It wouldn't be a good idea for the gov't to start sending back every letter to every average Joe for more postage when, in Joe's eyes, he used a good stamp! You wanna see a country go postal on the postal service, there's a way LOL!

o

Not sure if you can do anything with it in 'the states' but I reuse stamps which have not been canceled all the time here in Canada.

Since I started trading three years ago, I find that a lot of bubble envelopes are getting to me with lovely stamps which haven't been marked. Trading seeds has become quite cheap with Canada Post's help!!

If you ever do an SASE with a Canadian, you could certainly use it!

o

Can I do anything with it?

Take up stamp collecting?

As trading becomes more popular, is the PO going to raise rates even faster to cover the loss from those of us reusing uncancelled stamps?

I think it has to do with thick envies that would clog the machinery. In the States, it costs 13¢ extra for hand-cancelling if the clerk notices it.

My beef is with the new self-stick stamps. I love 'em, but when I stamp a bill only to find I'm going by its destination later in the day, I can no longer steam off the unused stamp.

Keep in mind: your 89¢ Canadian stamp is worth only slightly more than 76¢ US. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here