Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggplant

Posted by retiredprof 7 - Northern DE (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 14:36

Bakemom and Justsaymo: you are on it with this eggplant stuff!

I prepare like Bakemom: salt lightly, let it sweat, then blot dry with paper towels. Then egg wash and into a mix of Italian breadcrumbs, garlic powder and grated parm. Fry the slices until nice and brown and drain on paper towels.

I can eat it just like that or...

Layer it in a casserole, and add some marinara or meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Top it off with a little grated parm and into a 350 oven for about an hour. Then let it rest. Nothing like Eggplant Parm!

Try it grilled like Justsaymo: brush with olive oil, and a little pepper. Makes a great appy on sliced Italian bread sprinkled with some parm.

Here's another idea: Cut it in half lengthwise and scoop some of the flesh out of the middle. Saute the flesh with some sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms and onions and a little ground beef.

"Stuff" the halves with the mixture and bake at 350 about 45 minutes on a cookie sheet or shallow casserole.

Another idea: skin and chop a small eggpplant into large dice. Do the same with fresh mushrooms (any type) and some good ripe olives. Make a marinade of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, add some minced garlic, salt, pepper and fresh chopped parsley. Mix all together and refrigerate for a 24 hours. Let come to room temp before serving on grilled Italian bread slices.

Just some ideas.

Prof

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggplant

Thanks! I'll be referring back to this when my Fairytale comes true!

o

Yummy! Thank you! Now I can shut the kid up when he starts his whining for eggplant! How he got the fixation on eggplant, I have no clue!! Eggplant Parm really does sound delicious!

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 16:21

Yummy! I will have to do this with zucchini. I am not a big fan of eggplant.

Karen

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 14:25

We make omelets with it, specially the thin long Asian kinds, which are cool because you can leave the stalk on.

Cook the eggplant first (grilled is best, but nuked will do), peel it, then mash it flat with a fork. Fry it with beaten egg. Optional - add cooked ground beef.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here