Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredprof

Compact Camera Recommedation?

retiredprof
15 years ago

You all are posting these great pics of your sprouts, your beds and your buddies, and I need to jump on the band wagon. I have an old 2-megapixel Sony and have been researching a good point-and-shoot that will take good close-ups.

What are you folks using?

Comments (16)

• token28001
    15 years ago

Hey, I have a 2 megapixel sony that I use now. I've had it since 2003 I think. It still works fine. It just won't do closeups well and if you're trying to take pictures of birds, forget about it.

{{gwi:333146}}

I really would like a new one. My old roommate had a Nikon digital with zoom lenses and all the bells and whistles. I just can't see spending $1000 on a camera at the moment.

• PVick
    15 years ago

I have a Sony Cybershot - 1.3 megapix - which I got in 2001; takes pretty good closeups and I still use it a lot. Also have a Sony DSC-N2 (10.1 megapixels) bought in 2007; nice little fit-in-the-hand camera, decent closeup capability; that's the one I use most. Then there's the Nikon Coolpix5700 (5 megapixels bought in 2004), which I loved. Alas, my cat knocked it off the table and it went kaput. Haven't gotten it fixed yet.

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

I'm using a 3.2 megpix Olympus I got off of eBay in 2002. It takes nice pics, but has a limited zoom and closeups come out about 75% of the time (I can't seem to stay still long enough! LOL). I like that I can set up the camera and then trigger it with a little remote device so I can take pics of myself doing garden projects. Anyway this thing has more than paid for itself in film and processing. Instead of boxes of pictures, now I'm busily stuffing some server on another part of the planet. ;-D
    Kris

• sister_k
    15 years ago

Hi Prof, mine is a Canon Elph PowerShot SD1000. My sister got it for me for Christmas a year ago -- she buys me all my electronics and I buy her clothes, jewelry, makeup, etc. It's 7.1 megapixels, easy to use, quite small -- I don't really know much about photography. I have just been admiring a lot of pictures on this site, and was thinking I should take a class or read up on the internet how to get better pictures & take different types of pictures. Good luck with your search!

• lgslgs
    15 years ago

Not quite what you asked for, but you might want to look at the Sanyo Xacti E2: http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-VPC-E2-Digital-Camcorder-Camera/dp/B001DQRBSY/ref=dp_cp_ob_p_title_0

I'ts a small camcorder but it takes 8 mp photos too, is waterproof (nice for in the garden), and has a really great macro. You can focus up to 1 cm away.

My photos and videos from the last two weeks were taken with it. Link attached, and one example here.
    {{gwi:333147}}

I've retired both of my Nikons. This is just so handy and I am really pleased with it.

Lynda

Here is a link that might be useful: My recent Xacti photos

• lgslgs
    15 years ago

Oh - PVicks Nikon Coolpix 5700 recommendation is great too. If you want to see image quality with them, all of my photos Feb 8 and earlier were taken with one of them. On Flickr you can see which camera was used on each photo by looking at the additional info section.

I've attached a link to a set of images from August last year that were all taken with the 5700.

Lynda

Here is a link that might be useful: Nikon Coolpix 5700 examples

• ronald
    15 years ago

A couple of things to consider are megapixels, battery type and display size.
    Unless you want to print out 10x12 or bigger , you really don't need more than 5 or 6 megapixels.
    Definitely want one that has a rechargable battery.
    Larger display screen makes it easier on my weak eyes. (3")
    Mine is a fujifilm F650
    Ron

• ronald
    15 years ago

I also has 2 closeup modes

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

My family bought me a Kodak EasyShare V803 a little over a year ago. It's simple to use, fits in my gardening pockets,
    is rechargeable, and has an LCD screen to check out the pics before you download. It has 8 megapixels. Not an expensive camera and wonderful for me.

A welcome visitor in the gardens.
    {{gwi:333148}}

Waves of Tropical Storm Noel crashing on the shoreline on a trail close to our home.
    {{gwi:311509}}

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Canon Power Shot A580. When my daughter comes home from break I will learn how to use it.

• northforker
    15 years ago

Got hubby the Powershot 1000 after doing a lot of research last Xmas. He loves it cause it is small, takes great pics and MOVIES (shorts ones 0-5 min or so)too.No more lugging 2 camaras around on vacation. His Dad got one after years of using his "old 35mm camara from germany which took the best pictures" and is a total convert. Staples usually has good prices on these.

• morguegirl
    15 years ago

I have a Nikon CoolPix S550. It is 10 megapixels, which I agree isn't necessary, as 5 or 6 MP would be just fine. I got this particular model because it is very compact, and has a 5X optical zoom. Most models this small have a 3X optical zoom, and the extra zoom is great for closeups on small subjects. It is reasonably priced, too. i believe you can buy it for $200 or under.

Amy

• drippy
    15 years ago

I love love love my EasyShare. It was the family camera, but I glommed it so much DH bought a second one.

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

So, Prof. We're waiting for some pics! ;-D
    Kris

• tosser
    15 years ago

I need a new camera and am leaning towards an EasyShare. It's small, looks easy to use, and is also a nice price! 9 years ago I shelled out over $800 on a Sony Mavica and, while it's a great, dependable camera, I never did bother to learn how to do even half the stuff of which it's capable.

This new computer doesn't have an A drive and I don't want another dangly add-on cluttering up the desk - there's already too much stuff for the dog to chew on (she's a climber).

I will say this for Sony, though: after more than 9 years the lithium battery in the Mavica holds a charge just as well and just as long as the day I bought it. I've been really impressed by that!

• retiredprof
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Folks: I finally broke down and bought the new camera-- a Panasonic DMC-TZ5. It's 9 megapixels, has a rechargeable battery, and a 10X zoom. It also has a 3" LCD for us old folks. Reviews have been very positive. You can even take movies with it!

Here's the best part: I bought it on Amazon after tracking prices there for a few days. It finally went below my "threshold" of $225, and I snapped it up for $222 with free shipping. Bought a card and a little case, too. MSRP is $349, so I got a pretty good deal.

Spent this afternoon reading through the manual and taking a few test shots. Uploaded them into the PC, tweaked them a little, and moved to Picasa for sharing. Very easy.

Too bad it's been raining all day. I'm anxious to get outside and shoot some pics of the WS babies and the transplants.

Thanks for all your help and recommendations!

Prof

Sponsored