Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Yeah! Over-wintered Geranium

vera_eastern_wa
16 years ago

I brought one in and treated it like my househplants, only watering a little less. I just finished watering plants and noticed a few small flower buds starting to form!! YIPPIE!

I was going to take cuttings from it here in about 3 weeks, but think I'll wait :D

Comments (12)

• drippy
    16 years ago

I do it that way, too, Vera, although some people cut them back and hang them in paper bags, then pot them up again in late winter - there's more than one way to do it, I guess. I have a "Martha Washington" type and a regular one wintering over now. They're getting a bit leggy, so I was considering doing some cuttings.

• northforker
    16 years ago

I watched a video (here?) on boxing them up in the basement and you all are reminding me I'd better go down and check if there is any sign of life!

I am somehow doubtful but, hey, I would have lost em anyway (only had windowsill room for a couple)

I'll let you know if this boxing up thing works!

• dorisl
    16 years ago

me too! Ive got two nice big ones is really good shape and a smaller one that looks a little.... tired?

I tried cuttings during the winter and NOTHING happened. It only really works in the spring?

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dorisl,

Late summer to early fall and again in spring is when herbaceous plants root fastest.
    Winter isn't a good time because most plants take a rest and the hormone auxin that tells the plant to put out new growth is not that active.

• dorisl
    16 years ago

Thanks, Vera, Ill try again!

• northforker
    16 years ago

Report from the "overwinter in a box" front: - - - NG.

I have about 5 that aren't totally dried up and gone (out of about 15 in the box), so I am putting them in some soil but I am NOT hopeful. oh well...win some lose some. I'tll be a miracle if these bounce back.

• plant-one-on-me
    16 years ago

I have been overwintering a geranium like you did for over 8 years now...a snipping I took from my grandmother's house when she passed away. I have 5 flowers starting to bloom. It always reminds me of her especially when it starts to bloom. After the blooms die off, I make several cuttings that I root for the following years garden.

I made a cutting a couple months ago on an area that just got too leggy...it took over a month to root but it will soon be ready to pot up. Enjoy! Kim

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice Kim!!

So far only just the one flowering stem...starting to show some color in the last few day. I've given a light feeding the last two times I watered.
    I think if I have time today I will take a few cuttings anyways...I don't think I want to wait any longer if I want blooms on time in the garden. New leaves are being produced almost daily so rooting should be fairly quick now :D

Vera

• northforker
    16 years ago

None of my boxed geraminums "bounced back". Oh well. I have one that I overwintered in a coolish room and THAT one I'll take and root cuttings! Good thing I have 165 jugs of other stuff out there! so no point to whining!

• plant-one-on-me
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of my granddaughter holding one of the blooms off my plant. I wanted to get more cuttings going for spring planting and had to take from the blooming stems. Jordan loves to "sniff sniff" flowers. Kim

{{gwi:29859}}

• shimla
    16 years ago

I pulled 6 out of my compost pile last year, tossed them in a plastic bucket and forgot about them. I remembered them after I saw this posting and drudged them up from the basement. I planted and watered the dead sticks a couple of weeks ago and the darned things have started to leaf :)! I can't wait to see when they start to bloom. I'm always lacking annuals early in the season. This just might be my solution!

• dorisl
    15 years ago

Tried again and I GOT ROOTS! Yippee!

:)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm