Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Need name suggestions for a gardening group

highalttransplant
15 years ago

I've just been made leader of a women's gardening group for my church, and would like a catchy name that let's folks know it's about gardening, and also about fellowship. This is not a Bible study group, though it will probably include a short devotional time.

I have several ideas for topics. Of course, the first one will be wintersowing, but here are some other ideas I had

* Container gardening

* Plant and/or seed exchange

* Garden tours

* Preserving the harvest, maybe do some canning or recipe swapping

If you have anymore ideas for topics that would work for this type of group, I would love to hear them. These are NOT total gardening fanatics, such as you and I, but women that dabble in it, and just like to get together, so I don't think anything too technical would go over well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bonnie

Comments (26)

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

Book reviews of good garden books -
    New Square Foot Gardening comes to mind
    and the book on pruning and taking care of perennial plants by Tracey De Sabato (can't remember the book's name, but it's a great one)

growing Herbs or growing roses

good luck with your group!

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Bonnie, here are a few ideas that can be explored as lightly or deeply as one's group desires. These are ones that came to mind quickly. Gardening mags can also be used to find topics that might be interesting to your group.

Tried and true perennials/favorites
    Tried and true annuals
    New 2009 perennials/annuals
    Starting a compost pile
    Composting made easy (this could be as simple as digging veggie wastes into an existing bed)
    Making new beds
    lasagna
    instant bed/turning soil aka Donn's system
    newspaper/mulch bed
    Mulch, types and how to use/when to use
    Propagation via cuttings
    Seed starting/GUL
    Spring cleanup
    Monthly tips/cleanup, pruning, deadheading, planting etc.
    Public and private gardens in area to visit

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

OOoh I wish I had a group like that.
    I would like topics such as:
    seed saving
    making herbal things like butter or dipping oils
    maybe taking flower pictures on a field trip
    Hmm group names:
    glory gardeners
    By the mercy of god (meaning what we manage to take care of or grow)
    glory, grace and gardens
    digging for the truth

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooh, I like all of those ideas Duchesse and Mnwsgal!

Now all I need is a name for the group, LOL!

• retiredprof
    15 years ago

Bonnie: You might post on your local Freecycle discussion board about what you're doing, and invite "experts" in your various topics areas to address the group, give a demo, some handouts, etc.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Floodthelast, we were posting at the same time. Seed saving would be a great topic for the fall!

The only two names I've come up with so far are:

Garden4God (I saw that name here on GW)
    Godsgardeners

Oh, and I just had another topic idea. What about a biblical themed garden?

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

How about:
    Gardens Grow with Friendship?
    cAROL

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Biblical themed garden would be fun, you could have that white phlox, david.

I read a book I really loved by fran manos. It is called Midwest Cottage Gardening.
    She mentions trading on gardenweb and that is how I found my way here.

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Cottage-Gardening-Fran-Manos/dp/1931599408/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236991319&sr=1-1

I just thought of a name but it is farfetched.
    More than Mustard, on the faith of a Mustard seed, because it is about seeds and faith.

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Faith Sowers

• dirtbert
    15 years ago

This is too long of a name I'm sure but it came to mind and gave me a little chuckle...

Get down on your knees and...
    pull some weeds!

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

It sounds like a nice group. Many churches have big kitchens, which would be a great place for people to learn canning--for example, everyone brings a few pounds of cukes for pickling, (or puts in the money for one run to the farmer's market, salt etc.) and one person (or more) leads them through it.

I always thought that "flower buds" was both cheesy and cute. You could call yourselves "God's Flower Buds."

I know I'd join a group that offered what you mentioned. I think it would be wise to get some ideas from the group about their interests, so things can be planned to specifically address them. Everyone, of course, needs to hear about WS, since it may be the breakthrough that sets their wild inner gardener free!

• tosser
    15 years ago

WWJP? (What would Jesus plant?)

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Oh! Oh1 Oh! I got one!!

The Flowers That Be.

(Spoof off the saying 'The powers that be.')

:O) Can you tell I was enthusiastic in class as a kid when I had an idea or knew the answers? LOL!

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

I think a more generic name would be a good start.
    God's Garden Squad or God Squad Gardeners?

That would encourage different themed classes, possibly timed to seasons.

Organics- preserving the earth seems appropriate
    Winter= wintersowing, of course
    Spring= growing under lights, lawn care, container gardens
    Summer= annuals, perennials, veggies, garden tours, etc
    Fall= seed saving and exchanges

If you start out general, the focus could change as evolve according to interests of the group.

Karen

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! You guys are GOOD!!! I like ALL of the names, LOL. I can see I'm going to have a tough time making a decision.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Bonnie

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Wait I've got one more, group name: lilies of the field
    subject matter: compost

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    15 years ago

sowers and reapers

sowers, reapers, and gleaners (the gleaners being seed savers)

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

WWJP? LOLOLOL!

I really like sowers and reapers too! And God Squad is really funny.

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

The Grateful Gardeners
    Friendship Gardeners
    Glorious Gardeners
    The Germinators
    Soulful Gardeners
    Heavenly Gardeners
    Soulful Sowers

• sister_k
    15 years ago

Hi Bonnie -- I was thinking that for ideas for topics, you could always look at the Denver Botanic Gardens website at their class list, or other Botanic Gardens & Garden Centers for classes they might offer. When I asked about the DBG classes on the forum, people said those classes were really expensive (they were right), and most of the information you would learn could be found here on GW! But even just the names & description of some of the classes did get me thinking of things I would want to do with my plants (preserving & drying; making herbal teas; making gifts like flavored oils, sugars & salts). Good luck!

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

"The Germinators " , lol that's awesome.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And the winner is?

Soonergrandmom's ... Faith Sowers

I thought that name really tied together the dual purpose of the group.

Our first meeting is in a couple of weeks, and the topic will be 'Growing From Seed'. I'll touch on direct sowing, and indoor sowing, but of course I will teach the wintersowing method too. I'll report back to let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks again everyone for the great suggestions!

Bonnie

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Bonnie,

This is an awesome idea! I should start something at my church like this. It would be a great way for me to get involved more with the church and be doing something I am passionate about. Be sure to let us know how yours goes and I may be a copycat. LOL.

I think I would have to select the name WWJP or God Squad Gardeners. I was rolling on the floor laughing at those.

Let me know how it goes as I am very interested. Maybe you could start your own chain. LOL...

Tammy

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Hey, I just saw that you chose my suggested name. That's cool. When I was reading through the thread again I thought of another, "Kneel and Plant".

• howcaple_aol_com
    13 years ago

Our church community garden is just getting started; but one nearby is called: Common Ground. We are considering: Lord's Acre.

• river 8b Central Louisiana (
    13 years ago

floodthelast, I was thinking of mustard seeds when I read your post. How about "The Mustard Seeds" ?

Another suggestion is "Cornucopia" and "Lilies of the Field" called Lilies for short.

If it were my group, Cornucopia would get misspelled & wouldn't work!
    Here's a link that might be helpful: Wiki on cornucopia

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors