Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krystine_gw

Question for Hanne (or anyone else who knows!)

krystine
18 years ago

In this thread linked below, Hanne mentioned buying one of everything at the nursery that was wanted and cutting them up to propogate more plants. I would love to know how to do this... I peeked over at the propogation forum, but some of it looked a bit out of my league (air layering? wet foam method?)

Is there a dummies website for propogation anywhere? :)

Thanks!

Kristine

Here is a link that might be useful: discussion thread

Comments (4)

• mrsgalihad
    18 years ago

Some plants are super easy to propogate. It looks like pelargoniums are one of them. Some plants you can simply cut off a peice and stick it in dirt and it will grow. I did a few rose cuttings last summer. I used 2L soda bottles. I cut them in half (no drain holes) and filled with dirt then stuck the cuttings in. Then I put the top half back on and just pushed the two parts together. I left the cap on to maintain humidity. I kept them in the shade on my front steps and now I have three baby rose plants.

This method works for a lot of stuff but sometimes you have to know when to take the cuttings. For example Russian Sage: I haven't tried it yet but read that propogating needs to be done from new growth not woody old growth.

• krystine
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you very much mrsgalihad :) I'll have to do an experiment with pelargoniums to see if it works for me!

k

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    18 years ago

Krystine,

Two weeks ago, I took my pelargoniums out of the dark in the basement. They were still very good, and so I cut stems and placed in pots. Out of four plants, I could possibly have 29 new plants. I know I definitely have 17 after last night's check since new leaves are already growing on those. In terms of the other stems, well, they are still strong so I'll wait. I could have potted more, but this amount will be fine.

If you want to increase your chances, you can purchase a rooting hormone. Lee Valley has a good one. It's a gel which I find better than the powder. I don't normally use rooting hormone, but am propagating more and more in the last few years and decided to try it.

I have a holding bed full of propagations from stem cuttings which I did last year without rooting hormone. The plants include 3 different Phlox Paniculatas, Chocolate Joe Pye, Rose of Sharons, Butterfly Bushes, and Hollies. It's a great way to increase the number of plants in your gardens for no $$$$!!!

• Nurmey
    18 years ago

American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation is a really good book to learn about propagation. You might want to check it out. It explains (with lots of pictures) every kind of propagation method you could possibly try.

Also, don't be shy about posting on the Propagation forum since everyone from novices to experts post and it is a wealth of information. Beware, starting plants with cuttings is almost as addictive as growing from seeds. lol

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA