Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

In My Mind

drippy
15 years ago

And in reality, finally, it appears that I am going to South Carolina! After a full year of long-distance marriage, I finally have a signed purchase & sales on my house. As long as nothing goes wrong with closing (and it shouldn't), I should be in my new temporary home in SC in early May. DH & I will hopefully buy land & house in short order, while economy still favors buyers. I am so glad this process is coming to an end.

My realtor told me that the buyer is interested in the WS containers I have in my yard. I think that's great, and will surely leave her some (or plant some for her).

The word that keeps coming to my mind is grace. I am so well taken care of, it's breathtaking. I am very happy.

Comments (25)

• clumsygrdner
    15 years ago

:) I'm not a long time friend by any means, but it's always good to hear good news! Congrats on your move! SC is a beautiful state!

Please send pictures once you get your land. It's so exciting!

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Woohoo drippy! You're moving closer to me - Atlanta, GA! You will love the longer growing season, but will have battles with the bugs! What part of SC are you moving to? I have a dear friend in Myrtle Beach.
    Diana

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

Hi drippy,
    We don't kow each other,but i can feel your relief,and happiness,SC is lovely,you are one lucky girl it sounds like.
    It is nice of you to leave your new home owner some WDes plants she will love that.
    Have fun packing,and congratulations.
    cAROL

• sopamanda
    15 years ago

Great news. I bet it does your heart good to know that the owner will most likely lovingly care for your plants. :)

Congrats!

• drippy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi - it's good to see some NEW friends on the WS forum, too - this is such a great place on the net.

Clmsy, I have only been to SC twice since DH was there. It was 70 degrees at Christmas. In September, the rosemary, about 4 ft. high in the park in Greenville, was in bloom. That was enough to make me look forward to the move, even though I am leaving a gorgeous area in MA, and friends & family. I bounce pretty well, so although i know there'll be many mixed emotions, the adventurer in me will win out.

Ollie, not just bugs, I'll have to learn about poisonous snakes & spiders too - we don't have them in MA (although we have horrible lyme disease from ticks - SC has that too, but I don't think anywhere near as bad). I'm up for the challenge, and determined to stay 100% organic. I am SO looking forward to growing my own food - and flowers - and shrubs... I am moving to Greenville/Spartanburg area, so will be closer to GA than if I were on the coast.

Hosta & sopamanda, since I've had time to prepare for this move, and have done an interstate move before (13 years ago), I have steeled myself to the idea that the new owners will make it their own & rip some of the things I think are important out. I had put all premium Jackson & Perkins roses in my Ohio house yard before I left (13 yrs ago), and the new owners promptly ripped them all out. so it goes! I took cuttings here last fall of the shrubs I wanted to bring with me - that way, new owners can keep the shrubs if they like - or if they don't, I still have a piece to carry on.

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Sigh it is hard to leave your garden and know yours is tops. But to go south is goiong to be a trip for you in cool weather and growing ahead.

Maybe person with love of gardens will show and buy your home.

Hope all goes well for you on this.

ML

• albertar
    15 years ago

Good to hear that its all finally coming together for you and that you will be moving to SC soon. Best Wishes.
    Alberta

• PVick
    15 years ago

Good news, drippy! Best wishes to you and yours - guess hubby will be glad to have you "home"!

PV

• not_a_contessa
    15 years ago

Wow, that is great news, I'm so happy for you. Maybe someday I'll get lucky too and make the move south. My DH really hated the winter here this year, and it wasn't even a bad one, but he's not as well as he used to be, and so when he complains about the cold I just grin to myself and wonder what the future holds.

I have one daughter in SC who would love for me to move there. If it's meant to be it will happen.

Good luck and much happiness to you.

Mary

• token28001
    15 years ago

Congratulations! I'm about 2 hours north (more)east of you just beyond Charlotte. It's a nice place to garden. We do have some winter, but you will be planting out in late January if most years are any indication. Sow early. We don't have but 3 really cold months. And only 3-4 weeks at a time.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Hurrah, hurrah! Congratulations on your sale and your long single sojourn coming to an end. Looking forward to seeing news about your search for a new home in SC.

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

This is great news! Congratulations! Too bad you had to endure another New England winter before the house sold, but hopefully you enjoyed the extra months with your family.

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

I'm so happy for you! This is really good news!

• drippy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, all - it IS really good news, and I am so looking forward to the extended growing season. I think the month of April will be a wash, though, as I am busy with packing & moving - so if I'm not around too much, you'll know what I'm up to!

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

What wonderful and exciting times ahead for you. Congratulations!! :-D
    Kris

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    15 years ago

Your heart must be "all aflutter". You'll have so much "newness" in your future. To garden in a warmer zone, ah-h-h-h, sounds like heaven as I sit here at the end of March waiting to be hit by heavy snow and ice. Enjoy your hubby (is he also a gardener?), your new zone/garden and making new friends. Let us hear from you when you are all settled and can catch your breath.
    Trowelgal or Tina

• kqcrna
    15 years ago

Happy for you Drippy!

Karen

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Congrats to you. Moving down south & gardening in a new zone is exciting. Hopefully you'll have your new home soon. After this long winter up here I imagine your more than ready to get out. lol

Annette

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Sounds like you are in for a great life change.
    Wishing you the very best in all that you do.
    I will still be here with zone envy.
    If you miss the snow an ice you can come for a visit : ) lol
    You will be so happy to have a long growing season you will be fine w/the short winter weather.
    Bonnie

• token28001
    15 years ago

One of the best books you can pick up when you get down here is the Southern Living Southeast Planting Guide. You'll want it for the quintessential Southern Garden. Just wait, azaleas are about to bloom now. Most stores will have them on sale for $2 each. And they love the acidic soil.

• richdelmo
    15 years ago

Very happy for you Drippy but you know that Massachusetts gardens will never be the same without you. Enjoy the warm or dare I say hotter climate you'll be settling into.

Keep an eye on our weather next winter first snow I'm gonna throw a good ole fashion New England snowball at you.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Best wishes! Keep us updated - what a journey.

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Drippy, I'm so happy for you. Finally you and DH will be together all the time.

On the other hand, Drippy, My Pal, one of the first to welcome me to the WS forum and seed trading, in what seems years and years ago; I will sorely miss having you here in MA along with me.

Seed trades will take longer to go between us, but, that's OK, Just remember, I have seeds for you when you need them.

Think of all the new designing you will be able to do in a new climate and new garden beds.

Think of all the people you will be able to introduce to WS.

But, most of all, think about being with your hubby all the time and not long distance. It doesn't get any better than that.

Take lots of pics for us to see, and keeps us all updated on the new garden plans.

and don't forget to stop in and say hello, and tell us how the move is going, and how you settle in.

Fran

• drippy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for all the good wishes! Rich, you go ahead and throw that snowball, as long as I don't have to shovel it. Trying to support two places this year, I kept my house thermostat at 60 - I was so cold all the time. Both DH & I agree life is a lot warmer when we're together.

I will be coming back north to visit, as my family is all in MA. And my daughter, who is living across the pond right now, says if she comes back to the states, MA is where she wants to be (although it will depend on where the jobs are!).

I think I'll be settled enough by winter to do the Theme Garden Swap again - Jeanne (Sandlapper Rose) and I shared a lot of notes this last year. She may turn out to be close enough to me in distance that we can work on it together, the way the Minnesota gals do the Rare, Named, Unusual Swap. So watch for a posting on that @ early December!

Since I am not anticipating owning and settling into property much before fall, I will do some container gardening this year. I have some things I wintered over that I am taking with me, and I've started tomatoes for friends and family, and will bring at least a couple of those plants with me.

On a non-gardening note, I am entering/in that phase of my life commonly thought of as the "stewardship" phase. Now that my children are grown, I am looking forward to applying my time and talents toward leaving a positive mark on the world. I think that will probably involve music and teaching, and perhaps gardening as well!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Something told me to come here today and check things out between the rush of basketball games for DD. I'm so glad I did. That is such good news and this day has become more than I expected.

I'm so sure that Drippy will be so happy to have both you and DH together to be spoiled by. It has to be so exciting for this to finally come together for you. My heart is happy with this news!!

Maybe we'll have a new inter sower in the person who purchases your home? I made a contection with the person I sold my home to in 2001 and have a great friend now. Sometimes things are just right in that respect. 'Twould be nice.

My thoughts will be with you today in a very happy way. I think I'll celebrate by heading out and doing some garden cleaning for the first time this season. Seems most appropriate. :O)

A BIG hug goes out to you!! Best wishes on your move Kim and let us share in all the excitement of your new life adventure. :O)

Nicole.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional