Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bud_wi

Waaaa. I killed everything with the frost.

bud_wi
17 years ago

I just want to vent. I am new to winter sowing and live in WI.

I started this year, for the first time, peppers and peas indoors in plastic containers. They were doing great and were an inch high. Some were even two inches high.

Then white fuzzy mold started.

I read here that putting the containers outside will kill the white fuzzy mold.

It was mild outside. Cool, but mild. Snow was melting. Puddles of water were on the sidewalks.

I set all the containers on my porch and left to run an errand.

When I came out of the store, the sun had gone down and all the sidewalks were iced up. I panicked and hurried home.

I retrieved all my plants from the porch. They looked OK.

But then they defrosted.

They are all dead except for seven or eight of the largest of the little plants.

All that work for nothing.............

:( :( :(

I am going to start over, but I am so despondent over this I don't even feel like starting everything again right now.

I just wanted to vent.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments (7)

• lblack61
    17 years ago

I'm doing bell peppers indoors and it's happened to me just this week. I put a fan next to them and turn it on once or twice a day. I picked off what I could of the white fuzzy stuff (it was just starting, so it wasn't too bad) and dabbed a little Hydrogen Peroxide on the surface, undiluted. I'm hoping this solves the problem. If not, I have more seeds.
    I really don't like indoor sowing, but I think I will get better at it as I go along. But I'm glad most of my desireables can be WSed.
    So what do you plan to do? Start more? What do you think caused the problem? I think my problem was too not enough circulation.
    Linda

• lblack61
    17 years ago

I went looking for info on growing bell peppers from seed last night because the ones I tried last year didn't sprout-- or sprouted and died early. You know what I found out? You're not supposed to cover them with plastic. They don't like the higher level of humidity! Well that explains last year's failure and the mold that was just beginning to grow on them this year!
    Here's the link (scroll down to the section that says "Seeding for Transplants"

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Bell Peppers

• bud_wi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the link.

I did not have them covered. Only in the very beginning. I think not having them covered is part of them reason the FROST killed everything when I set the outside. I should have sheltered them when I set them out. If the frost set in while I was away they would have been insulated in their covered containers.

I should have used the hydrogen peroxide method instead, but I wasn't confident enough to try it. I thought I may use too much and kill them. I thought putting them outside like I had read, would be more "natural".

Oh well. Carry on. I'm going to get more seeds and start over.

• lblack61
    17 years ago

Good luck with the next batch :-). So far, so good with mine here. I sprinkled a little vermiculite on top of them as well, to absorb any excess moisture.

Is it really WARM enough in Wi for you to put the seedlings outside? It's wicked COLD here!

Linda

• bud_wi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Right now it it 45 degrees. Yesterday it was 50. the rest of the week is predicted to be in the low 50's and high 40's. The problem is that the nights are in the low 30's and high 20's. I have to bring the things in everynight - on time - before the frost sets.

I am starting over with new seeds. I am so depressed over this.

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

hmmmmmmm I cover all seeds that I start indoors with plastic....peppers too! BUT as soon as the little radical emerges (that would be the first tiny root) then off plastic comes and into the window they go....doesn't matter if there is just a few germinating or not. Believe me more will follow....if you really wanna keep it covered then prop it up on one end for air flow.

Have never had fuzzy white mold on the soil or seeds. They don't need to be as moist after germination either and I automatically start witholding water as soon as I have seed leaves. Good air circulation in good light should prevent the fuzzies from happening. Actually I did have something like that once...a few years back I used wooden markers to mark the rows and they started molding where they met the soil...so I replaced with some homemade ones made from container lids :D

As far as your seedlings outside.....I wouldn't even dare think about setting peppers out in less than 45 degree weather. If the frost wouldn't have got'em then chilling injury would have. Peas too... in the garden they can take a light frost but not a freeze.

Here's wishing you all better luck with the next batch:D

Vera

• lblack61
    17 years ago

hey Bud,
    I've got three sprouts! "Oriole", "Canary", and "Blackbird" (Stokes names for the Orange, Yellow, and Purplish bells).
    I'm so excited! So the HP on the surface took care of whatever was starting, along with inserting a fan. I turn the fan on maybe once a day for an hour or so.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Linda
    I

Sponsored