Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardencrazy_gw

Anyone can their veggies?

gardencrazy
15 years ago

Does anyone can their w/s veggies? I started learning to can last year because I had so many veg. and couldnt stand to see all of my hard work go to waste. I have very fond memories of helping my grandmother can when I was a child. but I have searched the internet over and over looking for a recipe for the pickles she used to make. She called them salt brine pickles but I am pretty sure she did not do the brine recipes that I am finding. You know put them in a crock and let sit for so many days and ferment. I can not remember any of that stuff. I believe she put them straight into the jars and added water and salt but I can not be sure. does anyone know??? I found some at a local festival last fall and they said "Old Fashioned Salt Pickles" and they were soooo good. If anyone knows anything about this I would love to hear it.

Comments (15)

• tosser

Ok, this recipe is from The Farm Journal Freezing and Canning Cookbook, ©1963. I'll post the recipe as written and underneath will add how I change it.

Sweet Dills Makes 9 pints

4 1/2 qts. dill-size cucumbers
    2 large onions
    18 heads dill
    6 c. vinegar
    6 c. sugar
    3/4 c. salt
    1 1/2 t. celery seeds
    1 1/2 t. mustard seeds

• Slice cukes & onions

• Put 1 head dill and 2 slices onion into each hot, sterilized jar. Fill jars with cucumber slices; shake jar to pack.

• To make syrup, combine vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seeds and mustard seeds; heat to boiling. Pour over cucumber slices.

• Add 1 head dill and 1 slice onion at top of jar; seal at once.

• What I use:

• Any cukes will work, they don't have to be picklers. If the skins are particularly tough, peel'em.

• 3 large hot white onions - 27 slices.

• 1 generous teaspoon of dill seed to each jar, put in directly after the cukes..

• White vinegar

• Granulated white sugar

• Regular table salt, although I cut the amount to 1/2 cup.

• The second time I made these I added 1 crushed clove of garlic to each jar. Tasty.

• I usually add either 2-3 whole cloves or 1-2 whole allspice to each jar.

• The last time I made these I added a couple pieces of cinnamon bark to the syrup (with garlic but no cloves or allspice) and that was exceptional. Remove the cinnamon

before processing.

Wash jars and funnel, if using, in soapy water, rinse well. Follow manufacturer's directions for preparing lids.

Cover washed jars & funnel with warm water in a large kettle. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil 20 minutes. Remove one hot jar at a time when ready to fill.

Fill hot jars to within 1/2" of top with boiling syrup. Make sure cukes are covered by liquid. Wipe off any spill.

Place lids on jars following manufacturer's directions.

Process in boiling water bath by placing filled jars on a rack in a deep kettle.

Cover 2" over the top of jars with boiling water. Keep the water boiling throughout the processing.

Process pint and half-pint jars 20 minutes. Quart jars 30 minutes.

Remove jars from the water bath; do not disturb self-seal lids. Leave metal rings on until jars have cooled.

Cool jars, well separated, on a rack or folded towel away from drafts or cool surfaces.

Sounds complicated, but once you've done it you'll laugh at how easy it is. These pickles are best if you let them set a few days before cracking open.

Also: never reuse the seals (the part that fits directly on top of the jar - it's fine to reuse the screw rings) and never use a jar that has even the slightest flake or chip on the top of the rim.

• tosser

Ok, this recipe is from The Farm Journal Freezing and Canning Cookbook, ©1963. I'll post the recipe as written and underneath will add how I change it.

2 large onions
    18 heads dill
    6 c. vinegar
    6 c. sugar
    3/4 c. salt
    1 1/2 t. celery seeds
    1 1/2 t. mustard seeds

• Slice cukes & onions

• Put 1 head dill and 2 slices onion into each hot, sterilized jar. Fill jars with cucumber slices; shake jar to pack.

• To make syrup, combine vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seeds and mustard seeds; heat to boiling. Pour over cucumber slices.

• What I use:

• Any cukes will work, they don't have to be picklers. If the skins are particularly tough, peel'em.

• 1 generous teaspoon of dill seed to each jar, put in directly after the cukes..

• White vinegar

• Granulated white sugar

• The second time I made these I added 1 crushed clove of garlic to each jar. Tasty.

• The last time I made these I added a couple pieces of cinnamon bark to the syrup (with garlic but no cloves or allspice) and that was exceptional. Remove the cinnamon

before processing.

Wash jars and funnel, if using, in soapy water, rinse well. Follow manufacturer's directions for preparing lids.

Cover washed jars & funnel with warm water in a large kettle. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil 20 minutes. Remove one hot jar at a time when ready to fill.

Fill hot jars to within 1/2" of top with boiling syrup. Make sure cukes are covered by liquid. Wipe off any spill.

Process in boiling water bath by placing filled jars on a rack in a deep kettle.

Cover 2" over the top of jars with boiling water. Keep the water boiling throughout the processing.

Remove jars from the water bath; do not disturb self-seal lids. Leave metal rings on until jars have cooled.

Cool jars, well separated, on a rack or folded towel away from drafts or cool surfaces.

Sounds complicated, but once you've done it you'll laugh at how easy it is. These pickles are best if you let them set a few days before cracking open.

Also: never reuse the seals (the part that fits directly on top of the jar - it's fine to reuse the screw rings) and never use a jar that has even the slightest flake or chip on the top of the rim.

• tosser

2 large onions
    18 heads dill
    6 c. vinegar
    6 c. sugar
    3/4 c. salt
    1 1/2 t. celery seeds
    1 1/2 t. mustard seeds

• Slice cukes & onions

• What I use:

• White vinegar

• Granulated white sugar

before processing.

• tosser

2 large onions
    18 heads dill
    6 c. vinegar
    6 c. sugar
    3/4 c. salt
    1 1/2 t. celery seeds
    1 1/2 t. mustard seeds

• Slice cukes & onions

• What I use:

• White vinegar

• Granulated white sugar

before processing.

• irisgirl
    15 years ago

I have, for the last 4 years. No one has gotten sick yet. I canned tomato sauce, whole tomatoes, green tomato relish, stewed tomatoes, ratatoullie and 4 kinds of soup but not the kind of pickles you are looking for. Have you checked some place like Recipeczar or Cooking 101?

For your other canning questions, check out this link for just some basic info. It's pretty easy once you do it a time or two. Have fun & good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Canning

• tosser
    15 years ago

I've canned tomatoes (whole, spaghetti sauce, salsa), cucumber pickles (sweet dills, bread & butter, sweet gherkins, garlic dill spears, and sweet relish), pickled jalapeños, and pickled green beans.

Also do dried tomatoes and bell peppers, and make chile ristras.

The sweet dill pickles were a huge success - people still ask me to make them. Just make bread & butter pickles and add about 1 1/2 teaspoons of dillseed to each quart jar. Really tasty. I use the b&b recipe from an old Farm Journal canning cookbook. Will come back and post it later in case anyone's interested.

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Yes, tosser, please post your b&b recipe. I would like to try those sweet dills.

• gardencrazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tosser that sounds interesting never heard of it. I would try that.
    I did dill pickles last year and they turned out ok but I am not big on dill pickles. unless they are the baby dills. which I plan to do this year. But I still really want those old salty ones like my grandma used to make and I cant believe no on knows what I am talking about.

• just1morehosta
    15 years ago

My best friend dad used to make the best Polish Garlic Pickles,oh,what i wouldn't give to have one of those now.
    He has passed on and over,leaving no recipe.
    My frien saved the juice as i remember,and would add pickles to it,man,oh man,yummy.
    Would any one here know how to make them?
    Fingers crossed X
    cAROL
    ps,did you know i have sprouts?oh yea,baby!

• barbe_wa
    15 years ago

I've been canning and freezing my veggies for almost 20 years now. I have a huge vegetable garden as well as a herb garden, orchard, cutting garden and several flower beds. We don't often have to buy canned or frozen stuff during the winter. You might have a look at the Harvest Forum here on GardenWeb. I've found a lot of excellent recipes there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Forum

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Is it easy? I was browsing through my BC cookbook the other day, and there's a section in the back for canning...it looks kinda complex.

• paradisa
    15 years ago

Hello!

I have been canning since I got married 20 years ago. I put up a little over 600 jars last year. Your best bet would be to go to a tru-value or some kind of hardware store and buy yourself a 'Ball Blue Book' The guide to home canning and freezing. probably around $10 now? It is excellent- has tons of recipes and tells you what needs to be 'Water bathed' versus 'Pressure canned'. Also good freezing and food dehydrating tips.

I looked and there is a recipe for 'Brined Dill Pickles' If you'd like it I can type it in a post for you. I have not made them.

Paradisa

• gardencrazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I bought a Ball Blue Book at Walmart last year when I bought jars and a Water Bath canner. It is not real hard but it is time consuming.

Paradisa ... does that recipe call for letting it set in a bucket or crock or something for several days? if so I have found several of those recipes. I just can not remember my grandma having food setting around like that. I know for sure that she cut her corn off of the cob and put it straight into a jar with boiling water and canning salt to make what she called pickled corn. maybe that is what she done to the cucumbers also. I hoped somebody else does that so they could tell me yes that will work. or maybe I am mistaken.

• tosser
    15 years ago

To clarify, Sweet Dills is the name of the original recipe. I copied it to a recipe card and have been using that for the past 10 years, so hadn't seen the actual recipe in the book for quite a spell. Apparently got it mixed up with my tried-and-true Bread & Butter Pickles recipe because once, when I was out of sweet dills, I doctored up the B&Bs by adding dill seed to them (it works). In any case, sweet dill pickles aren't my invention (just my favourite pickle).

• gardencrazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That sounds great tosser. I will try this. Thank you.

Sponsored