Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2shoes

Rachel Ray's 'Garbage Bowl'

wendy2shoes
15 years ago

Had an invitation to buy a genuine Rachel Ray garbage bowl for only $19.99 in my inbox today..(a special offer from Airmiles). Yup..20 bucks for a "durable plastic bowl" to keep beside my cutting board for all those pesky vegetable scraps.

I'll forward the details if anyone would like to buy one (!)

Doing my three stooges laugh here..nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Comments (14)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Sometimes these sorts of things that show up in unsolicited ads show up sporadically at WalMart, often at ridiculously low prices.

• token28001
    15 years ago

I have a 1 gallon dollar store plastic container I keep in the kitchen for scraps. When it's full off veggie scraps and coffee grounds, it goes into the compost bin. Does hers have an airtight lid?

• PVick
    15 years ago

Hey, everyone's got to make a buck!

Puh-leese .....

PV

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Ya know, actually I think these bowls are modeled after melamine bowls that became collectible years ago. They were end of day type materials - I think from Texas. (I was an antique dealer of modest means years ago).

I run my kitchen scraps out to the gardens.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Some quick research - this is modeled after Texas Ware melamine bowls. I remember spying this item on her show and thinking - wow - vintage plastic. I love vintage plastic and have several large collections - hence bakemom for bakelite first produced in 1906. I have a modest research library with this history of all this stuff.

If you like Murphy Brown, she wore bakelite jewelry on the show as well as the various women in Woody Allen's movies. If you like Remember WENN, you will see tons of it on PBS.

I am a nerd.

• not_a_contessa
    15 years ago

Wendy, the old bowls were made years ago by Boonton and Texasware and some others. They were dirt cheap at the grocery stores or the five and dimes. Today they are for sale on eBay, and some of them fetch a pretty penny. I get a kick out of seeing them on TV, and although I don't own any I secretly covet any light green bowls Rachel uses.

As for bakelite, my kitchen is loaded with it, mostly because for a long time the stuff they were selling new was just junk compared to the good old kitchen tools. It's fun to have around too, so colorful and cheery. Hey, somebody's got to save the Good Old Stuff! It's addictive, like seeds LOL.

Mary

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

I found it for $17.99... I really like it! It reminds me of grandma's house. It also reminds me of doing the dishes at their house and grandpa yelling... "Never use SOS on the plastic!"

I dunno... maybe for that reason alone it's worth the money, just to have it sit on the counter...

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

13.95 at ShopPaddock.com, and as low as 8.50 on eBay.

I think I'll stick with my free one:

{{gwi:333505}}

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

Mary, Mary! How can you possibly put garbage in a quality veggie planter such as that? Heck, those planters are why I've got two cats! ;)

Can't put garbage in any of mine! They all have holes in the bottom!

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

LOL- What do you plant in yours? I might still do the tomatoes like fran does, but DH thought I was nuts (because we have oodles of space for veggie patch), and now the plan is back to the garden space with them. I was reading something yesterday, but failed to take notes...what veggies do well "contained?"
    Got pix of yours?

• nancy_drew
    15 years ago

Tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, lettuce, bush beans...

You just really have to keep an eye on them, they dry out really quickly!! On some hot days you might even have to water twice.

• wendy2shoes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm old enough (58) to remember melamine, bakelite, formica, ice boxes, the milkman, the breadman, coal chutes, and all the great (?) things of the 50's. I don't think Rachel Ray does. I'm still not going to pay 20 bucks for a "newfab" retro bowl to put my veggie scraps in.
    Call me old fashioned...I'd rather find one at the Sally Ann!

• PVick
    15 years ago

Is Rachel Ray a gardener? What does she do with the scraps when dinner is over? Put 'em in the garbage?

PV

• PVick
    15 years ago

Went looking to see what this bowl looked like, and came across this:

June Cleaver After A Six-Pack

Cracked me up!

PV

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH