Return to the Winter Sowing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory ideas....

Posted by vera_eastern_wa 5b-6a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 21:25

Looking for interesting ways of growing MG's. I've never grown any vining plant before (except cucubrits) and I was thinking about growing them up Giant Sunflowers or something like that. I have 'Grandpa Otts' and 'Heavenly Blue'.
What have you done? Show me your pics please :)

Thanks,

Vera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory ideas....

Well, I grew a Cardinal Vine (just one) up my TV antenna pole....BAD idea....now I have dead vine at the very top...gonna have to get out the ladder.

The Hummers loved it, though... :o)

o

LOL!! Thank goodness we have DISH or I might have tried :)
I bet that was pretty anyhow huh?!
I could grow them on my small deck and let them climb the railing, but I don't think I want to use Miracle Gro potting soil in containers do I? I"ve heard that fertilizer will induce lush growth but few blooms. I've thought about driving the back roads again in search for nice tall, straight, sturdy, roadside red dogwood stems as I did last year to make a tepee for the mini pumpkins. Maybe I can harvest enough to create a type of arbor...hmmm!? It would look like 3 ladders attached together with 2 vertical sides and one horizontal.

Vera

o

• Posted by pvick z6B NYC (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 19, 06 at 12:30

Letting them grow up the sunflowers should be pretty, but those MGs can get pretty rampant and heavy. Would the sunflowers be able to bear it?

I saw a picture once of MGs growing with KMOTGG, and twining thru it. But I believe they were both near a fence ...

o

Vera, yesterday, I built a teepee out of willow twigs. I may build a few more. Another WSer just mailed me this site. Mine was even much easier to build than this. I just tied the twigs together with strips of panty hose. LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustic Teepee

o

Pvick,
Well I can grow those extra giant sunflowers!!

pitimpinai,

I did the same with Red Dogwood stems last year for my 'Baby Boo' pumpkins just using twine and I planned on doing the same for the arbor/trelliss idea :)

Thanks for the link...we also have plenty of access to yellow willow around here.

Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Sowing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here