Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

Anyone buy a hoe lately??

northerner_on
14 years ago

This year we have had a real spring (although it's back to winter now), so I have been able to tackle the problem of weeds because I have had the time to spot them early. But I have spent so much time on my knees that I decided to invest in a good long-handled hoe. Off I went today to Lee Valley and never knew there were so many different types/sizes/shapes of hoes!! I haven't made a decision yet, and I thought I might ask for some suggestions from some of you seasoned gardeners. Thanks in advance.

Northerner.

Comments (10)

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

A hoe? Hoohoohoo :-)

My garden is so stuffed I cannot hoe anywhere....
    Take it back, ever since I let Impatiens capensis grow in my garden, I have to use a hand hoe. Boy, the seeds grow as bad as perilla. At least the plants are great for composting.
    Those seeds germinate through a thick layer of mulch. I already see a gazillion coming up.. Bummer....

• not_a_contessa
    14 years ago

I talked my husband into buying a scuffle hoe last year and he really likes it. I guess this year I'll be the one using it, can't wait to try it out.

• northforker
    13 years ago

I love my scuffle hoe and my circle hoe! I have hand held options of both and a stand up version on the scuffle. I do most of my gardening from a sit down cart (bad knees).

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Nan: I am so glad you posted. I did some extensive hand weeding and thought I could get by without a hoe, but after a few days of rain, cloud, and then sun I am inundated. So the scuffle it will be. I do believe I will have bad knees later in life. I was an an athlete, involved in all sorts of sports and cannot keep still, so it is almost guaranteed. Good luck and thanks.
    Northerner.

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finally found a scuffle hoe - not at Lee Valley, but at a local feed store. Will pick it up today.

• bakemom_gw
    13 years ago

Haven't bough a ho, but did go down to the river to admire a baby ducks and AGAIN I saw the elderly men 70+ in nothing but a speedo. yeesh.

• kqcrna
    13 years ago

I really like my circles hoes best. I have both a short handled one that I always carry in my garden tote and a long handled one as well.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: circle hoe

• northerner_on
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You made me laugh out loud Bakemon - a good way to start the weekend.

Well, with one thing and another I didn't get around to picking up my scuffle hoe until today. I tried it out - you have to get the hang of it at first - and did one of my veggie gardens in a short time. One thing it is not good at is maple seedlings and I have lots of them. Maybe it's the long tap root. But at least I can now save my back and my knees.

Karen, thanks for your suggestion. I think I will invest in one of the circle hoes for the smaller spaces.

Now all the hard work begins - getting the beds all ready for next weekend when the planting begins.

Happy Planting to all and thanks again!!!
    Northerner.

• northforker
    13 years ago

I am having an invasion of tiny clover germinating among many perennials (put down horse manure this year - horses eat clover, right?)and my hand held (1'handle) circle was put to the test this past weekend. It was amazing - I could get right up to the base of the perennial and wisk away all the tiny little clover easily. Less work then the "back and forth" of the scuffle hoe. I will still use my "stand up" scuffle hoe for mowing down large paths of weed seedlings in my beds, but for the "delicate" work around established plants - the circle hoe is SUPER.

• not_a_contessa
    13 years ago

Karen, that circle hoe looks mighty interesting. I had to laugh though, when I thought about the bed behind our shed. That's where I was planning to grow tomatoes. We had amended the soil with lots of compost. Then reality struck. It's like a swamp around that bed, I can't even get to it unless I put on boots. But the worst part is, my butt muscle got pulled and I'm still seeing Chiropractor Molly. Meanwhile, thanks to the early warm weather and lots of rain I now have the most gorgeous, plush, healthy, beautiful green bed of tall grass, weeds and feverfew that I've ever seen. I need a tractor to get that thing in shape. So far we've managed to harvest some mint for juleps and feverfew to dry, and as soon as my butt is healed you know what I have at the top of my to-do list.

Mary

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES