Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beatrice_outdoors

Scotts Miracle Gro company is knowingly poisoning birds

beatrice_outdoors
12 years ago

I learned of this story from Doug Green the Gardener.

It turns out that Scotts Miracle Gro lawn and garden company has been producing bird seed that is coated with a pesticide that prevents it from being eaten by insects during transport. The problem is that the coating is poisonous to birds-ya, know, the intended recipients of the food??? And what is worse, when employees told them the coating is poisonous they not only did nothing about it, they covered it up when the EPA tried to investigate.

Read the story here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/grrlscientist/2012/mar/21/2

THEY PLEAD GUILTY TO KNOWINGLY ADDING BIRD-KILLING PESTICIDES TO BIRD FOOD!!!

Our wild bird and song bird populations have been dwindling, and people are trying to help by providing food for these creatures. I am sickened at the thought that those who have been trying to help were inadvertently harming and possibly killing the very animals they were trying to save, all because of corporate greed.

I don't know about you, but I am throwing out any and all Scotts products we have, and writing them a letter that their actions are despicable, and they have lost me as a customer. This includes never using Miracle Gro potting soil or fertilizer, their Step program lawn care products, any hardware such as spreaders or dispensers.

I post this here because so many people use Miracle Gro potting soil for their seeds.

Decide if you want to support this kind of corporate behavior. If you do, keep on buying their products. If you don't, then buy from a different company, and when you do, tell your supplier why you're making that decision.

Beatrice

Comments (12)

• terrene
    12 years ago

I had heard about this awhile back. I am an avid backyard bird-watcher, participate in bird counts, etc. I feed a little suet and sunflower seed, but primarily focus on creating habitat for the birds in my yard with lots of native plants and lots of bugs for them to eat.

Looking at the big picture, birds have much bigger problems than some poisoned bird seed. Habitat destruction is the #1 cause of the decline of bird populations. #2 is collisions with human structures - buildings, windows, etc. which kills up to 1 billion birds per year. The human race is not very good about co-existing and respecting other species on this planet.

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

This is not the proper forum for this type of discussion.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    12 years ago

Why is it not the proper forum? I'd like to know if I'm poisoning birds and might not see it elsewhere.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Old news, the products in question were recalled in 2008. The only thing new is the legal finalizing and paying of the fine last month. Let this move away, or move over to conversations where it should have been placed....

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I agree with Terrene. We are brick and mortaring everything! The "Lorax" movie needs to be broadcasted on national TV!

• wantie
    12 years ago

I didn't know about this before.

And would not have if I hadn't read it here, now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

If they did it then--- what else are they up to??????????

• auntyara
    12 years ago

this is another forum where such things are discussed.and many more
    :) Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: hot topics forum

• ellenrr
    12 years ago

thanks Beatrice,
    I hadn't known of this before. Altho I never buy Scott's products.
    As to where this is placed, everyone has the ability to follow or not any thread.
    There are plenty of threads on here which are not directly related to WS: people's children, a nice event, a sad event, etc. Lots and lots. Which is fine with me.

If I am not interested I don't read it.
    I don't demand that it not be here.

Live and let live.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

This is the WRONG FORUM for this post. I don't know why you posted this at Winter Sowing when you can get a much larger audience at Hot Topics here at GW or any other ranting venue on the internet.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Probably because many people use Miracle gro products to winter-sow?

Repeatedly chastising people about what they post here is not doing this forum any favors. JMO.

• auntyara
    12 years ago

Hi I sure hope no one thinks I was trying to say you can't discuss anything you like in any forum, I was just sharing a link to another forum with lots of info on lots of topics.

sorry if any one thought I was trying to say that you can't post information here. I personally think it was good to inform us about Scotts products here. Like terrene has stated many of us do use their products.
    :) Laura

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Personally, people can use whatever they want to sow their seed. GW has a huge array of forums where you can discuss in length this, that or the other thing. At WS, if your post is about sowing and growing, seeds and seedlings, dealing with people's reactions to WS, and anything else related to WS and the seedlings it produces then gab away. Just my personal opinion, but edgy posts should go to Hot Topics where you'll find a lot more people to dialogue with about whatever it is that irks.